Wrong Side Up

toolman

had to do this after I looped mine climbing a hill. I didn't have any specs to go on, so I went with trial and error. Once I had the top and front of the frame cleaned off, (i.e. tank, steering stem etc removed) I used an angle grinder to grind the top weld off the gusset. I used my Hi-Lift jack and some 2x4s to push the loop back into position *after* I'd heated each side up good with my torch. Once it cooled down, I slid my steering stem into the bottom mount and slipped the upper bearings arounds the stem and checked the gap and the alignment of the bearings to the point where they bolt onto the loop. The bearings should rest right on their "perch" with no forcing or bending of the steering stem.

Once I had the stem where I though it should go, I lightly snugged up the bolts and put the radiator back on. At least I tried to. The upper mount didn't line up so I had to peel everything off and bend the loop a little more and try again. It took me several tries to get the stem angle and the radiator mounts to line up. Once it was back where it belonged, I welded the gusset back in and added some 3/8" square stock to the back side of the gusset for some additional strength.

I did have to do a couple small tweaks to the side cover mounting ears once the body plastic was back on, but all in all, it wasn't a hard fix. Just a bit time consuming.