Left cylinder power loss

twoduce

Little bit about the banshee, bought it a couple years ago and had instant problems with it first time out. Found water in the stator, flywheel area. Needless to say stator was shot and flywheel was rusted beyond belief. So payed big $$$ for all new electrical components stator, coil, cdi, wires, new flywheel, and adjustable timing plate. Plus found that the timing was advanced 8°. Put all together, set timing at +4° and ran it until last weekend, when it was really running awesome then late Saturday afternoon noon lost all power and ignition to left cylinder. Thinking fouled plug, pulled plug and it was little wet from fuel but in all clean, so wiped it down, ran wire brush over it, rechecked gap and put back in and fired it up had smoke coming out both pipes but still know power. So pulled head, pistons in all look good from the top but lots of carbon build up, plus the piston size is stamped on to of 65.19. There is a little play from side to side with both pistons, not sure if that's normal or not. Question is any idea what might be my issue might be and any idea what might have been done with this engine??? It has 65.19 pistons, CPI pipes, Cool heads with 22 domes. Haven't tore into it any further yet but plan on pulling jugs tomorrow. 

Ya I thought about checking compression after the fact myself. Guess I might as well pull the jugs tomorrow and see what I've got and maybe do a rebuild or possibly a slight up grade. Was looking at possibly going 66mm pistons and with big bore jugs but need to figure out what has been done to it first, for all I know it's got big bore all ready. It had a crazy amount of timing advance at +8° when I got it last year.