Looking to buy a Noss Cool Head

Casull454

Hello Experts

I am new to the HQ and looking for some advice. I have been out of the 2 stroke scene for quite some time since my younger racing days and I am now getting back into because my 2 boys are starting into the game. I am quickly realizing that I have forgotten more than I remember about 2 strokes, plus this is my first shee as I have always had dirt bikes in the past. I am also quickly realizing that there is so many things that can be done from back in the day.

I am looking for more info before I commit to buy a Noss Cool Head with domes. My shee runs really good and strong right now the way it is which is why i have not completely tore it down, but just looking for better temp control during the summer along with added compression which of course is more power. I really dont want to tear it down and buy new gaskets when I dont have too unless it is going to be worth it.

I have sent an email to Noss looking for these same concerns/ questions, but have had no reply returned.

My set up is a 05 Special Edition- Elevation 860'- Compression is 120- Toomey T5's- Bore (unknown)- Ported (unknown)- Reeds (Not Sure of Brand) was told they were done- Stock Carbs with 280 Main, 27.5 Pilot (I looked personally)- CFM Air Box with K&N Pod Filters

**Will be adding a adjustable timing plate in the next few days

Any and all advice will be helpful

Thanks in advance

You can always have a builder shave your head for added compression if your on a budget.

you can buy and oversized rad for $60 on eBay and a chariot, Mull engineering, or mattoon oversized impeller for cooling.

a cool head with interchangeable domes are nice though if you want to fool around with squish.

if you want to go fast have the cylinders ported by someone good and stock crank welded and looked over.

Edited by gusto

Excuse my ignorance, What is the squish that everyone is referring to?

I will be in the process of changing the fluid to Engine Ice and was already going to change out the impeller.  Budget is not exactly a concern, my main concern is that it runs really dam good and don't want to do a complete tear down when I do not need to.

I was just looking for more cooling, but if the HP gain was available I might as well take it where it is given. That is why I thought of the Cool Heads with domes.

35 minutes ago, Casull454 said:

Hello Experts

I am new to the HQ and looking for some advice. I have been out of the 2 stroke scene for quite some time since my younger racing days and I am now getting back into because my 2 boys are starting into the game. I am quickly realizing that I have forgotten more than I remember about 2 strokes, plus this is my first shee as I have always had dirt bikes in the past. I am also quickly realizing that there is so many things that can be done from back in the day.

I am looking for more info before I commit to buy a Noss Cool Head with domes. My shee runs really good and strong right now the way it is which is why i have not completely tore it down, but just looking for better temp control during the summer along with added compression which of course is more power. I really dont want to tear it down and buy new gaskets when I dont have too unless it is going to be worth it.

I have sent an email to Noss looking for these same concerns/ questions, but have had no reply returned.

My set up is a 05 Special Edition- Elevation 860'- Compression is 120- Toomey T5's- Bore (unknown)- Ported (unknown)- Reeds (Not Sure of Brand) was told they were done- Stock Carbs with 280 Main, 27.5 Pilot (I looked personally)- CFM Air Box with K&N Pod Filters

**Will be adding a adjustable timing plate in the next few days

Any and all advice will be helpful

Thanks in advance

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squish_(piston_engine)

Hers the thing, your going to need to tear it down if you want to make it run real good. Adding compression won’t amount to much. 
Options for big power increase in order of expense:

port your stock cylinders, new bore and pistons 55+ hp

driveline 392cc stop end with stealth head 65+ hp ( dyno of this with t5 in the sponsor section of you dig)

4 mil stock cylinder stroker set up. 70+hp