HELP NEEDED!!!

So I’ve gotten back into banshees as I scored a 1987 from a older guy who blew it up back in the 90’s. I rebuilt it myself took about a week just did the first start today and it was a bitch to start literally about 10 mins worth of kickin’ but it’s only running on the right cylinder. So I did some trial and error figured it may be the plugs so I took the plug still in the left cap from the left cylinder(not running) and put it on the right side and put everything on the right on the left and nothing changed the left cylinder still not running just blowing cold air pipe doesn’t get warm anything when I blimp the throttle a little it putts maybe a little but still nothing could this be a carb issue or is the reeds on the left side bad 

15 minutes ago, Pinkylee said:

Did you clean carbs during rebuilt ? If it's been setting ? Jets would almost surely be dirty.

Yes actually soaked the carb in carb cleaner used compressed air and bought new pilot and main jets 

Blow through the pipe ? Make sure nothing blocking it ? Like a mouse nest? Dead mouse? Etc... Believe it or not. This happens more often than you would think on bikes that set a while. Just trying to think of the not so obvious stuff first.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Pinkylee said:

Did you do a leak down test first ?

Yup did a leak down well I didn’t a buddy of mine did who owns several banshees since I don’t own one yet it’s on the way here now may need to do my own though  but even when I asked him he said it sounds like I may have a funky reed on that side because the plug is actually wet with fuel so it may not be getting air 

13 hours ago, Pinkylee said:

What do you have the air screws set at ? How many turns out ? What is your set up and mods?

392 driveline assassin cylinder  Vito hemi head 21cc domes v force 4 reeds billet intake 35mm pwk carbs 160 main jet 45 pilot jet needle set at middle clip air screws 1 turn out it had 50 pilot jets in it but they were so rusty and nasty looking that I took them out and just threw the 45’s in cause I had them but even the old guy was saying the pilot was on the rich side I may order some more 50’s

Hmmmm!!!!! Best I can suggest at this point is to redo a leak down AND compression check. If it passes both ? Pull that carb again.. Make sure float is set correctly and not dumping fuel into cylinder. I believe it should be set to 21mm. But don't quote me on that. Look up video from South Texas Banshee.. He has A LOT of GREAT instructional videos.

On 7/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, BBoy69 said:

So I’ve gotten back into banshees as I scored a 1987 from a older guy who blew it up back in the 90’s. I rebuilt it myself took about a week just did the first start today and it was a bitch to start literally about 10 mins worth of kickin’ but it’s only running on the right cylinder. So I did some trial and error figured it may be the plugs so I took the plug still in the left cap from the left cylinder(not running) and put it on the right side and put everything on the right on the left and nothing changed the left cylinder still not running just blowing cold air pipe doesn’t get warm anything when I blimp the throttle a little it putts maybe a little but still nothing could this be a carb issue or is the reeds on the left side bad 

Did you check if both plugs are indeed sparking?

put that 50 pilot on the wire wheel on a bench grinder and clean it off. as long as the threads are good idc throw it in wont matter as long as the passages are clear..  and btw pwk carbs dont measure the same as far as float height that south texas banshee video is only for stock carbs. its 16 mm but dont bother buying the stupid tool to measure float height.  put gas line on the inlet and blow through it, push the float up till air stops, float should be parallel with gasket surface when it shuts off, boom done.  isnt this a brand new built and first start?? reeds shouldnt be bad. sounds carb related.  btw that 160 will likely be too much main, might need a few sizes smaller, but get your starting issue figured out first

Edited by Ayesully810

21 minutes ago, Ayesully810 said:

put that 50 pilot on the wire wheel on a bench grinder and clean it off. as long as the threads are good idc throw it in wont matter as long as the passages are clear..  and btw pwk carbs dont measure the same as far as float height that south texas banshee video is only for stock carbs. its 16 mm but dont bother buying the stupid tool to measure float height.  put gas line on the inlet and blow through it, push the float up till air stops, float should be parallel with gasket surface when it shuts off, boom done.  isnt this a brand new built and first start?? reeds shouldnt be bad. sounds carb related.  btw that 160 will likely be too much main, might need a few sizes smaller, but get your starting issue figured out first

The reeds are from an older bike but that bike ran fine with them so it could be carb related honestly 

It was bad reeds 
.. Glad to hear you got it figured out. Also glad to see you posted fix.. Always good to get answers. In case someone else has similar issue. Now GO RIDE THAT BEAST !!!!

5 minutes ago, Pinkylee said:

emoji106.png.. Glad to hear you got it figured out. Also glad to see you posted fix.. Always good to get answers. In case someone else has similar issue. Now GO RIDE THAT BEAST !!!!

If I could post pictures of the reeds I would but they both had gaps where you could see daylight straight through them and from what I’ve recalled  reeds are suppose to be sealed