Quads running funky

Rawnold

Sup fellas

recently did a top end rebuild on my quad dropped from 180 comp to 150 got the bike running broke it in, changed oil and put in some fresh gas 32:1 ratio yamalube type r. Quad ran great last weekend no complaints only some low end sputtering on 1st and 2nd a bit slow on top end I felt but my buddy said that might be jetting. So I ordered 290 and 300s to try them out see if it helps he thought my current 310s were too high.

now issue is this weekend I go out to ride it (still haven't swapped jets) and I go out warm it up and punch it down my road and feels about the same now when I get to the end of the road and start shifting down it feels like my quad is starting to shut off I would hit the throttle but the revving would sound strange.. the lower I shifted the worse it got until I hit 2nd or 1st where my bike would completely shut off. I put it in neutral gives me a lil trouble to start but once it kicks on it rides funky on first and second until the powerband hits then I can ride normal until I have to stop again.

Should I check my needle clip position too ad adjust that? gas tank is full fuel seems to be flowing fine through the lines. Just swapped spark plugs cause they were starting to look a little foul, haven't got on the quad yet

Edited by Rawnold

18 hours ago, Duke 2stroke said:

That's jetting and needle issue you having. Post details of your bike 

What else would you like to know? My quad right after rebuild was 150 psi, CPI pipes pods on stock carbs 26mm stock crank 66.50 pistons, slight port work 

Just recieved the jets, should I try the 290 or the 300 first?

30 minutes ago, ginger said:

i had a similar issue and it was the fact i didnt shake my tank before i rode, the oil sank to the bottom of the tank and wouldnt let it run right. 

I actually was thinking this too. But I always shake my tank before turning the quad on but it's done it twice after warmed up and everything actually runs fine when cold so I feel like my issue might be the jetting. I heard needle and pilot affects first three quarters of throttle main jet is wot so if that's the case my issue here is either pilot or needle?? Any other ideas

Edited by Rawnold

Be sure to search all through the jetting and exhaust forum for how to tune your pilot and needle too there is tons of threads like that out there.  Find out what needles you have and your position first.  unscrew the top of the carb cap then pull the spring up and wiggle the retaining clip out then just pull the cable out. Un do the two screws holding on the clip retainer then the needle will just fall out,  Count which groove it is on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayesully810 said:

Be sure to search all through the jetting and exhaust forum for how to tune your pilot and needle too there is tons of threads like that out there.  Find out what needles you have and your position first.  unscrew the top of the carb cap then pull the spring up and wiggle the retaining clip out then just pull the cable out. Un do the two screws holding on the clip retainer then the needle will just fall out,  Count which groove it is on.

Yeah I'm familiar with the carbs I know how to check needle adjustment, soon as I get my hands on the new jets I will also check needle position, let u guys know the current position & retune my carbs once everything is back together.. dropping down to 290 from 310 main jet thoughts?

as as far as carb synching my windows are foggy and I don't have the tool would you fellas have another method? 

Edited by Rawnold

Just now, Rawnold said:

Yeah I'm familiar with the carbs I know how to check needle adjustment, soon as I get my hands on the new jets I will also check needle position, let u guys know the current position & retune my carbs once everything is back together.. dropping down to 290 from 310 main jet thoughts?

as as far as carb synching my windows are foggy and I don't have the tool would you fellas have another method?

yeah you get a carb syn tool.  Also you could try and clean your carbs as best as you can to clean them windows up that way you can sync them.  Is your quad revving out completely at WOT or is it sputter and choppy? if so your rich,  you need to do a plug chop and that way you will be able to see.  Then dial in your pilot and needle. not trying to be a dick but you should try and use correct punctuation with your posts bc they are hard af to follow.

1 minute ago, Ayesully810 said:

yeah you get a carb syn tool.  Also you could try and clean your carbs as best as you can to clean them windows up that way you can sync them.  Is your quad revving out completely at WOT or is it sputter and choppy? if so your rich,  you need to do a plug chop and that way you will be able to see.  Then dial in your pilot and needle. not trying to be a dick but you should try and use correct punctuation with your posts bc they are hard af to follow.

Lmao I got u fam. I'll try cleaning up my windows as much as possible. When I'm in the higher gears quad seems to run good, it's the lower gears that bog especially 1st before I hit powerband. I can take the quad out for another ride and test it out at wot if necessary because I don't rly know how it operates at wot. I usually avoid hitting wot since I just rebuilt.

plugs are black and oily not white at all that's why I assume I'm rich correct me if I'm wrong

1 hour ago, Ayesully810 said:

Yeah that's a rich condition.  Where are you air screws at?

also what pilot jet

Last I checked I was at 1 turn out from closed. Not sure on the pilot jet I have to check that

Just got the jets 300s and 290s. I put in the 290s to see if those are better, if they're lean I'll drop the 300s which should be dead smack middle. Needle clip is in the middle groove, should I leave it in that position or raise the clip one? Or drop one?