Full Throttle Popping & Backfiring

phillybuilt

Stator could be it but do the cheap stuff first like plugs, pressure,compression

What should I be seeing for output if I test the stator? I don't want to throw parts at it without first really testing it if I can help it.

There's 2 brand new BR8ES that replaced the practically new set (to rule everything out), it passes air leak test perfectly, and I'm at around 140 per cylinder with a good compression tester.

Ordered a set of NGK wires & caps, per your guys advice. Also going to remove the stator and leave it in the house overnight for accurate test readings. Should have some results by the end of the week. Work has been stressful lately.

Big thanks to sleeper for taking the time to send me some very crucial notes about stator testing. If anyone else needs this information I would be more than happy to pass it along.

• Like 1

Cut out early today, as the package with the new caps and wires arrived. Decided to do some quick testing first. Attached a test light to the frame, and started up the banshee. I ran the test light down the old coil wire and along the boot, one side was very lightly arcing, the other side was pretty strongly arcing. Clipped off about 1/3" each side to fresh wire, screwed in the new NGK caps, put the insulators back on, all better. No more high RPM breakup, hooray!

Really appreciate everyone's help on the matter, thanks again to everyone and this forum as a whole, for all the insight. My banshee would not be running without HQ. Big thanks to Sleeper for taking the time to text me the stator notes, in between porting a pile of cylinders. All of my testing with the stator would have been null and void if it weren't for him. Hats off to you sir.