Battery for led lights

Abe

Wasn't saving much coin with the rectifier I bought costing $45 was just trying to avoid pulling it back apart to float the ground. Those voltage readings are in ac I had unhooked the box to test my system to try an find a reason for it failing. Even said what the heck and hooked it up un- regulated to just try an get it to light the led indicator back up incase my problem was not getting enough voltage to the rectifier.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the trail Tech rectifier/regulator you do NOT need to float the ground nor did I.  You  just have to make sure all your negatives for your lights and such are ran with wires and not touching the frame. I repeat you do NOT need to float the ground if you do not want to.  I thought i already made that clear.

Sent from my Samsung S3 on Tapatalk

Edited by 90Bansheedude

I had already purchased the ebay one when you said that so I was already partially committed. You are running just the trail tech piece and no regulator before correct? The wire from tt reg/rec that suppose to be to the floated ground is just left open? all lighting grounds must be ran to the tt reg/rec or battery ground ? think that sums up all the ? lol

Correct, just don't worry about the wire connected to frame ground and hook up the two that are accessible. And no I am not using the stock ac regulator, I think they want you to use a battery, atleast a small one. I think I posted a link earlier to the one I used. I am very happy with this setup.

Correct, just don't worry about the wire connected to frame ground and hook up the two that are accessible. And no I am not using the stock ac regulator, I think they want you to use a battery, atleast a small one. I think I posted a link earlier to the one I used. I am very happy with this setup.

this is a little confusing, are you saying to not ground the lights at all not even to the battery? or to not ground the reg/rec and to leave the wire for a floated ground open ?

If you do not float the ground on the stator you will have two wires coming out of the stator hook up both of those to the regulator. if you floated the ground on the stator you would have a third wire, that is the wire that we are ignoring. Yes you do need to have a ground hook from your lights to the trail Tech regulator or battery just follow their wiring diagram. Is that clear or do you need any more clarification?

Is that for Trail Tech or a different one?  Im not familiar with bajadesigns.  Here is the TT pdf. http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/regrec/010-ELV-116.pdf

I talked to one of their tech guys about it and they confirmed that it was ok.  The banshee stator has 2 wires coming from the stator and one going to ground, so it would have 3 total including the one going to ground that sometimes gets floated.  Just an FYI.

banshee only has 2 wires exiting the stator. one is simply a ground to the stator plate which ends up grounding to the engine, stator, and chassis. The other is the lighting coil ac voltage. when the ground is floated you will unsolder one end of the lighting coil and add on making the third wire. so in reality only one wire is from the coil coming out the stator in oem configuration. so I assume the bottom diagram I posted is how a non floated banshee is ran. only difference in your setup and the bottom diagram would be you have the reg/rect casing grounded to chassis.