Battery for led lights

Abe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the sellers other posts lists the box is good up to 5amps, when I used a conversion calculator online that in return equals 60watts. I will be less than half of that so I would think I'm well in the safe area

The capacitor that's in that box takes the place of a battery to eliminate flicker if it is large enough for the application. But I'm still curious as to if its just using a standard $5 bridge rectifier to convert to DC in there or something else and what he's using to regulate it.

Sent from my Samsung S3 on Tapatalk

I'm using the factory regulator before the rectifier to keep the voltage in check. The high med and low is a push button incorporated into the rear of the headlight housing. I have a lsr bar clamp with the mount for a tether but instead I will be using a plate to mount the push button trail tech switch to power the headlights on and off.

Once you get it hooked up while using the factory ac regulator post up what you're dc voltage is at idle and at some higher rpms. I kind of doubt it will be correct, because there is a multiplication factor when changing to DC, and since you are regulating it before you are rectifying it, I would be curious as to what volts it is putting out.

If it follows standard rules and the aftermarket box does not have a regulator in it and relying on the stock ac regulator, I would think at 12v ac you would end up with 7.6 volts dc and if at 14.5 ac then you would end up with 9.2 volts dc. But real life application may prove otherwise. Or...... that's the liquor talking.... lol

Well I went to do some testing today and just had the box mocked up with no lights. Fired up and immediately had led indicator light on showing that it was working. Lasted about a minute while I was rounding up volt meter etc.. before it went out. Seemed to happen while I was giving it a rev so I thought damn my regulator isn't working and I had fried the box. Went on to test the current regulator plus one more and I have roughly 9.5v at idle but neither one will reach more than about 11v no matter how hard I rev it, also seems to make more volts just a little past idle compared to a hard rev. Without the regulator it easily makes 20v + so I don't think my stator is bad but why can't I get 12v with the regulator ? Also any ideas how to test the box to see if it's fried ?

Read my last post.... if you are regulating the AC to 12 volt before you change it to DC it will not be the voltage you expect. You need to rectify it to DC and then regulate it to 12 volt DC after it is rectified to DC. This is why I recommend the trail Tech rectifier regulator set up for 60 bucks. I have a simple 2000 milliamp rechargeable 12 volt battery pack that was like 20 bucks hooked up as well then I can have light for quite a while without it running if I need to fix something or somebody wrecks and we need some light.