Serval

Soskunked

I have a ported Serval 421 and love it. I have approximately 2500 miles on the motor now. I did have it ported by Cam at Redline after 1600 miles, so I did put new pistons and rings in it while I had the cylinders off, but didn't have to because the compression was still okay. Im still using the same 4mil Hot Rods Crank that I have had since new. It was still in spec when I had it apart, but it will need to be replaced at some point. A lot of the miles are trails, but I also run coal hills in PA. I don't beat the motor, but I do ride it. I had to switch to a 5.5 Gallon IMS Tank because the stock tank did not cut it. I went about 50 miles on and off of it and ran some hills this past weekend and burned through 4.5 gallons. 

• Like 1

Serval is better that stock cylinders

Ok so Im going to go serval..might have to save for another month but it's for the better

What else would I need to upgrade on my bike to run the serval properly (just trying to estimate price a bit better)

New clutch?pipes would I need a new swing arm?

An if I buy the serval kit do I have to do anything extra to the cases or anything else ?

Edited by Soskunked

I went straight from a stock bolt on engine to the Serval. Originally, I was going to go with a 4mil with stock cylinders, but after doing all the numbers and talking with my builder I spent the extra money and went with the Serval. It was worth every penny I spent on the engine. I would speak to a few builders on this site to get an idea of price. I don't remember exactly what I spent. There were a lot of little odds and ends I never figured in. I spared no expense in making sure it was set up right and didn't cut any corners. I did not spend any extra money on any fancy billet pieces. I worked with Jeff and Cody from FAST Racing on the initial setup and those guys were great. I also worked with Cam from Redline to port the cylinders after I ran them as cast for two years. Cam was also excellent to deal with too and spent a lot of time answering my questions.

What aftermarket stuff do you currently have?

I have a Redline 421 ported Serval that's set up for race gas.  I've had it in the dunes, trails, and mx track.  Extremely happy with how it performs.

If you ride woods type trails there are many other options for much less money than a serval. A serval is a thing you would do agter you already have pipes, reeds, advanced timing etc. Since you are asking the questions like clutch, pipes, swingarm etc you definately need to either read more about them or tell us what you have now and what type of riding you do. Also almost every builder sells servals not just two of them.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys but I am going the stock cylinder route ..I thought about it and after asking a few guys I made my mind up just because my main thing is jumping I don't think I need that serval power(not yet anyway) il rather put money to shocks etc right now..thanks for your guys help

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys but I am going the stock cylinder route ..I thought about it and after asking a few guys I made my mind up just because my main thing is jumping I don't think I need that serval power(not yet anyway) il rather put money to shocks etc right now..thanks for your guys help

Nice choice, id hit up redline, seems like he does a great jobas and h lots of happy costumers on here.

• Like 1

You may end up regretting not going with the Serval first. I'm glad I didn't go with the 4 mil stock cylinder set up because I know I would have ended up with a Serval in the end anyway, but would have spent more money to get there. I bought the setup over a two year period to split up the cost. I was also skeptical at first that it would be to much power for what I was going to be using it for. After speaking with Jeff at FAST, he explained to me the power delivery would be very different from what I was envisioning. 

You may end up regretting not going with the Serval first. I'm glad I didn't go with the 4 mil stock cylinder set up because I know I would have ended up with a Serval in the end anyway, but would have spent more money to get there. I bought the setup over a two year period to split up the cost. I was also skeptical at first that it would be to much power for what I was going to be using it for. After speaking with Jeff at FAST, he explained to me the power delivery would be very different from what I was envisioning.

Powerwise for sure I know the serval has it but I intend to get some serious air with this bike an If went the serval I would still have to pay for shocks a arms axel because the way I'm going to be jumping stock won't hold up..if I bought the serval on top of shocks etc I would be paying a lot more then I want to spend so I think shocks etc are more important then power for now but I know what you are saying I might one day have a serval an regret I never went there 1st thanks.