Banshee upgrade

There are lots of posts on here that cover that type of info. Saying that, it all depends on your budget. Meaning that if you get a dune port done, your going to want a longer swingarm, longer and stronger chain, chain slide, possibly a different axle carrier, beefier water pump, definitely pipes if you don't have that yet and more than likely a new topend. Just a few things that might need to be upgraded if you increase your hp. But the fun factor increases as well !

As far as reliability, I would definitely have it professionally dynod with your setup. They can dial it in and make it safe for the long haul and help you learn your bike. But don't just take my word on this topic, I'm learning too. 

no its not necessary to replace half of your bike after you get it ported lol

Well......if it's ported and tuned well, you might find that the bike will dictate the remainder of the budget.

Doubling your power WILL effect many of your supporting components. Old chains break and whack cases (SOOOO COMMON) gearing needs change, tires may need upgrading for better traction, clutches get hotter and swell under use necessitating an easily adjustable clutch lever, pressure plates will need stronger springs to hold the power and prevent a smoked clutch, extra force there can make worn clutch cables fail........

Well, ultimately it's a vicious cycle of chasing the latest weak link in the bike.

Frank knows what he's talking about. He just jumped from a stock 87 with T-5 pipes to a full REDLINE 4mill with CPI's and trust me when I say.....he NEEDED lots of upgrades to handle the power. (I think he's MOST thankful he upgraded his front shocks to WORKS )

yea nobody said anything about a 4 mil however and I realize shit will break but personally id worry more about suspension first if its a stock banshee...it will be unusable power and frank said about an axle carrier and a chain slide those are like the last things I would worry about. 

not only that but if its just ported and rebuilt probably looking at what? 65 horse? not too impressive when you look at the big picture.

65HP is not too impressive?

I beg to differ. I have a 370 longrod bike with dune port making 63HP and MOST people who throw a leg over it are pretty intimidated by it.

People think 70HP is easy to hit, but making HP without loosing all the bottom end torque requires major effort.

My 63 HP bike has broken a swingarm, blown out aftetmarket shocks, required heavier clutch springs, etc.

I agree than upgrading a suspension is ALWAYS my first choice in mods.

But the point is.....it's never Port-Pistons-GO!

It's usually Port-Pistons-try to ride-log on for jetting advice-only upgrade the main jet-burn up a top end-learn to adjust pilot and needle-get better less restrictive filters-ride bike-change gearing but use old chain-break chain- whack cases......you get the point.

Add into that a few weeks of coolhead questions, dome discussion, setting up a motor for a certian fuel, bolting parts together and never doing a leakdown test or a squish check.

This site is FILLED with these hard luck stories from people who out built their knowledge pool and had to learn the hard way.

Big picture.....if your budget is $500 and you spend $500.....don't be shocked when that upgrade requires another $200 very soon after in support parts.

I guess you could just port it and ride and see how it reacts. The shame of it though is that who wants to rip a motor back out to rear it down to possibly do more work when it could have been done when it was out the first time.

I had an 87 like John said and it had t5's with pod filters and of course works front shocks and I was barely getting beat by bikes that were ported. I didn't see a huge difference that's why I took the road I did and built it up a little. Only problem was that you have to be informed as possible so that you don't get burned by being way over budget.

So in saying that, a ported bike on a stock swingarm and an old chain and gears sounds like a beast that might be interesting to control if it's around 60-65 hp