engine rattle/vibration investigation

check the vid to hear the rattle and vibration it felt kind of like a engine mount had come or something was out of balance, i knew the stator and flywheel was rusty when i got the banshee but could not find where the water was getting in so i was strongly suspecting this area as the culprit.

2pt4bdk.jpg

hmm that looks odd 

2yll7xk.jpg

do you think it is still balanced ok? lol

2d8brk.jpg

Stripped it all out now and lucky for me i have a spare engine to supply a new flywheel, The flywheel nut was still tight but there was some up and down play so i and pretty certain that is causing the problem now i have cleaned it all up the crank has no play in or out or up and down with the fly wheel removed so looks promising. 

what do you guys suggest i do with the spare flywheel? i hear i should reseat the flywheel on to the taper using grind paste is this correct?

still impressed it ran as well as it did, also think i have found the source of the water getting in, the grommet where the stator wires pass through the engine case has a split in it. my spare one looks good but i think i will also seal around the wires inside the grommet with sealant.

ordered some grinding paste so i can seat the spare flywheel. just debating on doing the ignition advance mod while i am at it :D

I would highly recommend you indicate the mounted flywheel axially and radially to check for runout.  It appears the other one was welding itself which can be caused by excessive out of balance or not mounted correctly.  I had one in here some time ago from a member that was fighting with broken cranks from this issue.  Worth checking!

Brandon

Mull Engineering

• Like 1

Tried the spare stator setup today and got the flywheel nicely seated all ok 

started up second kick

still has the exact same rpm related rattle/vibration :(  i am thinking this engine needs a strip down as something ain't right and its best to stop using it before it does major damage 

so i will get my spare engine sorted and have a look at this one later 

And you indicated the flywheel in?

yes i seated the spare flywheel in with fine grinding paste, but the out of balance type vibration is the same but i think the rattle may be less as the flywheel is not hitting the stator coils. 

still runs perfect with good compression  :shrugani:

i think the source of the water getting in is the huge mud holes and lakes your riding in.  

its a sport bike  not a mud racer..  

yank the motor and check for piston skirts still attached / and, or hydrolocked crankshaft and or phased out crank from hydro lock

ok just watched the video.  check all your motor mounts also.  almost sounds like looks like a exhuast spring rattleing against the pipes.  but kinda hard to tell in the vid.  motor has a nice decell shake to it!

• Like 2

xnyufo.jpg

spare engine is dropped off for a rebuild

old engine is out took me just under 2hrs not bad for my first time on the banshee now just gotta jet wash all the crap off it haha 

All the engine mounts are perfect, suspect problem with it is as said by others the crank has spun knocking it slightly out of phase, when i get some spare cash i will have to get that engine rebuilt to a 4mil setup :)

Camatv

here in the UK we are really limited for places to ride so i pretty much only get to play on Motocross tracks and i am not really a mudplugger at all i even got ragged because of my mudflaps on here lol 

21cyzno.jpg

what i did discover today is how that water was getting in 

it was running down the stator wiring loom sleeve prob not helped by over zealous power washing by me and previous owners i will be sealing up all outer sleeving with silicone sealant on reassembly try and make this as water tight as possible