what supsension to get?

2005shee

ok im looking at suspension set ups to get ive got a little bit of saving to do still but I would like to know how much ill need. I live in southeast ky, all I ride is wooded trails kinda fast but not extremely hard on my quad, I ride all year round so temps will range from 20-100. I was looking at a set they had of elka stage 1s and full flight st + a arms for 850 but only front shocks, same full flights with elkas stage 2s for 1150 just front, a set of stage 3 elkas with back included for around 1300 plus 350 for a arms, and fox float fronts only for 695 and id get +2 a arms for around 350. question is are the elka 2s or 3s worth the extra price? how would the foxs compare in my conditions? is there some other brand I should be looking at? if I get a set without the back what should I do, leave it stock, match it or is there a certain back shock that would be better? like I said before wooded trails is where I ride im also planning on getting an anti vibe steering stem and fast flexx bars and a steering stabilizer, I want a smooth ride I don't do big jumps at all, but theres a lot of drops and whoops that I have to ride here in the mountains. also would long travel make much of a difference?

Long travels with Elka stage 3's FTW!

(We just covered this with another guy...do some searching for more detail.)

I'm jus gonna throw out my experience with that. Bought fireball long travel last summer with stage 3's long travel front and rear . Took it on 1 ride down at LSOK last fall. Now that ive been workin on the engine, I noticed a little oil around the bump stops already. I've always disliked elka. Always thought they were overrated, but they had there sale goin On. so I thought wat the hell. I'll give em a shot. An then that happened,, wish I would of got the fox evols instead..

I have had great luck with PEP suspension and Elka. I have ran other brands such as works, and ohlins without issues as well. No matter what you decide, you will see a night and day difference from the factory set up. If your on a budget i would stick to standard travel +2 a arms to save cost over the long travel set up. Long travel is a bit nicer but not necessary in your situation and will add a good amount to the cost. As DDQ mentioned above, I would upgrade the front now since that is the weak link in the suspension and then work on the rear down the road. I ran a +2 standard travel with triple rate shocks and a factory rear shock for quiet awhile and was pleased with the set-up since I had gotten so used to the stiffness of the factory set up from riding in years past. 

I recommend stage 3 because "I" want a shock with (at the very least) adjustable compression settings. 

Rebound adjustability is nice, but can be lived without.

A stage 1 or 2 is damn near a typical WORKS dual or triple rate. (Although admittedly much higher quality.)