Removing Water Pump Gear

thebloker

if you don't mind tearing up the impellor a bit (which most don't if swapping to aftermarket from stock) you can do what I did. I took 2 small pieces of 1 x 4 lumber... pinched them together in between the impellor and the gear, then used a hammer to lightly tap the shaft out of the gear. Wouldn't suggest hitting it hard just in case you miss and hit the gear. Mine took a few taps with the hammer before it was loose enough to come the rest of the way off by hand.

thanks for the help, but I unless I can get away with out messing anything up, I think I may just leave the thing in there. I have split my cases and I was in the process of replacing all of the seals, until I ran into this situation. Normally, I would have just torn the hell out of the impeller; but I don't have enough time to get a new one and install it before Thanksgiving. The old seal didn't leak, but at least I have something to look forward to destroying when I finally buy a new one.