Benefit Of Running 8 Inch Vs. 10 Inch Rim ?

_Nick_

I currenty am running Sand Skate II's 22x11x10 tires on douglas 10x10 rims. I need more traction so I am considering the Haulers. I've noticed most people run the 8 inch diameter wheels. What would be the difference in using 8 inch rims vs. 10 inch diameter rims? I want to know if I should use my existing rims, or get 8 inchers...Thanks.

It is also has advantages by changing the gearing ratio by not changing gears. Need to toy with the sprocket sizes to get get back to original velocity and acceleration. Better thing, lower sprung weight, makes suspension more apt for dampening on the big stuff.

It is also has advantages by changing the gearing ratio by not changing gears.  Need to toy with the sprocket sizes to get get back to original velocity and acceleration.  Better thing, lower sprung weight, makes suspension more apt for dampening on the big stuff.

He's just talking about rim size..... not tire size. I think with the smaller rim, your tire will have more of a curve to it. With that, a lot of the paddle will be in the sand when you take off. When you are flying, you are floating. Less paddle will be in the sand causing less drag. I went to silver lake this summer and most of the fast quads had 8inch rims. I'm guessing that's why. Also, if you run them low on air, the stretch the faster you get going. It's like drag tire. The final gearing to the ground goes up the faster you go. It's like changing your sprocket while riding... :)