Lighting issue

chayote86

The lights on my banshee arnt working they haven't for a long time. Figured u should get them fixed before LS next month. I just put a new stator in thinking that was the problem. But when I did the voltage regulator burnt out. What can have caused the regulator to burn out? It's a 200watt stator

What kind of stator? The 200 watts shouldnt have anything to do with the regulator. Higher wattage means more power. volts X amps = watts. So unless the regulator cant handle the extra amp draw, it should be fine. Ive never heard anybody upgrade their voltage regulator. But you never even pulled a full 200 watts unless you have some crazy lighting on it.

Study the wiring diagram and make sure yours is right. What kind of stator did you put on it? Ricky Stator??? Leave everything unhooked and ohm all your stuff and compare to the chiltons manual. Then I would check each power circuit to ground. you shouldn't see any low resistance ohm readings. If you see a reading that is the same or close as the same as when you just touch your meter leads together, then theres a short. But before you get that deep just check ohm readings in chiltons manual. If its a ricky stator that may just be the problem.

I put one of those on my KX 250 and it lasted LESS THAN 3 minutes. I spent hours and hours looking for an additional problem that didn't exist. It was just a piece of shit stator. I think OEM or Racetech is the way to go, but I've never had to buy one. Maybe somebody will chime in and verify.

Racetech stators FTW!

Well the bike runs fine if it were a bad stator wouldn't it run like crap?

Nope lighting circuit is seperate from ignition.