trail tech

just wonderen is anyone running one and how do they work 

I ran one on my old stock cylinder bike. It worked pretty well. MPH wasn't very accurate, though... Probably 4-6mph off. I used it to monitor coolant temp and RPM's, mainly. It had a trip meter on it which was pretty cool to see ROUGHLY how far you've ridden in a day or over the course of a trip. You can set coolant temp alarms, and there is memory for MPH, RPM, and coolant temp.

MPH wasn't very accurate, though... Probably 4-6mph off.

Then you did not spend enough time getting the settings dialed in. My Vector is dead on. I had problems with the tach in the Vapor that even Trail Tech could not make it work. The Banshee ignition is too dirty and that is why I ended up with a Vector. You don't need a tach on a Banshee- you are supposed to shift when it quits pulling.

MPH wasn't very accurate, though... Probably 4-6mph off.

Then you did not spend enough time getting the settings dialed in. My Vector is dead on. I had problems with the tach in the Vapor that even Trail Tech could not make it work. The Banshee ignition is too dirty and that is why I ended up with a Vector. You don't need a tach on a Banshee- you are supposed to shift when it quits pulling.

You didn't spend enough time trying to get your tach working right on your vapor. I had no issues whatsoever getting mine to work. Followed the instructions and it worked perfectly.

You didn't spend enough time trying to get your tach working right on your vapor. I had no issues whatsoever getting mine to work. Followed the instructions and it worked perfectly.

Not only did I spend a lot of time trying to get the tach to work,  the engineer who designed the Vapor could not get it to work on my Banshee.I took the bike and Vapor to their headquaters in Battlground Washington twice and had their engineering/service dept. work on it. If you blipped the throttle while the coolant temp was below 100 degrees the damn thing would do a complete reset and I would lose all my saved info(hourmeter, etc.). They gave me all the sensors and wiring harnesses and even a completely new head unit on the first trip. They tried every trick and repair procedure that they had encountered previously and sent me on my way. The next time I tried it with the bike cool it still did it so I went back again. This time they had no clue what to do with it. When I mentioned that I didn't really need the tach, they offered to give me a Vector in addition to keeping the Vapor, plus they gave me a bunch of other swag. The Vector has worked flawlessly from day one. As for the speedo, I had to change the tire size factor a couple of times to get it right, but once I found the correct factor it has been dead on, verified by both radar and GPS.

Not only did I spend a lot of time trying to get the tach to work,  the engineer who designed the Vapor could not get it to work on my Banshee.I took the bike and Vapor to their headquaters in Battlground Washington twice and had their engineering/service dept. work on it. If you blipped the throttle while the coolant temp was below 100 degrees the damn thing would do a complete reset and I would lose all my saved info(hourmeter, etc.). They gave me all the sensors and wiring harnesses and even a completely new head unit on the first trip. They tried every trick and repair procedure that they had encountered previously and sent me on my way. The next time I tried it with the bike cool it still did it so I went back again. This time they had no clue what to do with it. When I mentioned that I didn't really need the tach, they offered to give me a Vector in addition to keeping the Vapor, plus they gave me a bunch of other swag. The Vector has worked flawlessly from day one. As for the speedo, I had to change the tire size factor a couple of times to get it right, but once I found the correct factor it has been dead on, verified by both radar and GPS.

You should have just run a battery. That's what I did from the get-go.

Also, what happens when your tires get worn down, or the air expands/contracts with temperature?

You should have just run a battery. That's what I did from the get-go.

Also, what happens when your tires get worn down, or the air expands/contracts with temperature?

First thing I tried and the first thing TrailTech checked. Like I said, I had the engineer that designed the damn thing working on it and he was stumped, and it wasn't just a bad unit because 3 different ones did it. I tried a 9 volt battery, hooking it to the Banshee lighting circuit,switched to BR8ES plugs, tried ALL the ways the instructions said to hookup the tach signal wire,tried a new temp sensor,  the guys at Trail Tech got tired of talking to me on the phone so I went up there twice and had the guy that designed/engineered it and another guy work on it both times and NOBODY could get it to work correctly.

I did not mean to offend you with my first comment, I was just saying that if you spent a little time with it you should be able to get it accurate. As for tire expansion it only seems to be a problem when you are on the pipe in 6th. Mine has always been accurate at the speeds I ride at, I guess I am getting old and dont haul ass as much anymore. When I went to Glamis last year my GPS and my Trail Tech were in agreement as to how far I had travelled.

Edited by bansheesandrider

You never offended me at all. I was just saying that mine worked flawlessly on a 12v battery with a DC Conversion, and BR8ES plugs. I actually bought it used and the guy I bought it from had no issues running his off of the stock stator with no DC conversion. The way they tell you to mount the wheel speed sensor is n-rigged anyways. I never felt comfortable removing a bolt from the rotor and replacing it with their junk.