Crank bearings

why would you NOT run the TZ or roller side with stock angle gears????????  thats the BEST bearing you can run??

i have run roller on the drive side with ANY upgraded build that will use stock drive gears.  they make the flex non existent in the crankshaft. you will NEVER have a bearing issue if you run that setup. ( unless you run a china bearing or install it all wrong or some other issue)  if you have a higher hp cub OR serval its a great easy cheap upgrade to the crank to run a roller bearing on the drive side.  i will not build a motor up unless that is one of the things done to the crank.

do a few searches and you will find a bunch of higher HP motors with blown drive side bearings from the side load of the angle'd gears.   its threads like this with bad info that leads to bad rumors. 

the tz or roller style bearing can take  HUGE amount of load and live to see another day. with the ball style ( oem style) and the twisting motion of the stock angle cut gears with higher HP can lead to all kinds of problems.  i think i still have a crank out in the shop with a cracked bearing on it.  higher HP motors with crap crank bearings will blow crank seals, then crack the bearing, and/or seperate the keepers, then they can just plain explode.    think about it like this  the angle cut gears on the OEM side of crank- clutch cause the shafts to push apart.  it makes them run quiet  because of the constant mesh.  on a 35-60 hp motor its usually not that big of a deal.  you get higher in the HP and that pushing apart is going to get worse and worse. add in a non welded crankshaft thats going more and more out of true adn you also have all that vibration causing hell on the bearings also.   either the main trans bearing behind the clutch is going to blow ( highly unlikely because of all the slop in the bushing to shaft)  OR the bearing on the crank is going to go ( much more likely because of the direct pressures put on that bearing. )