Silver lake trip

blast off

Hello Everyone,

Me and some family are thinking about making a trip so silver lake this summer so i was wondering if someone could give me some info as to what we really need to be able to ride there. I looked at the MI state site but the info is vague and doest really tell you exactly what you need, maybe i was looking in the wrong place? I saw that you need the parking pass and voucher to be able to ride but what about bike regulations? is a sparky and flag good enough? It seems like they are kinda strict up there. are T5 pipes above the sound decible regulation? Also, if anyone knows a good camp site that is very close or on the beach? We are coming from NY/NJ/PA so we just dont want to drive all that way and not be able to ride or something because of a stupid regulation. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Guys!

You need sparkys and flag. Good packing in your pipes and google silver lake resort and campground.

I have some dates posted in the rides section under "windy city dune assault squad dates"

If you go on any of those weekends, you can join us and we'll guide you through it all so your weekend goes smooth.

Oh, my bad.

Yeah each item entering will need some stickers. If an ATV or truck is going out on the dunes it will need a State Park sticker and ORV sticker.

If your parking the truck in the parking lot, it will just need a state park sticker.

Parking lot voucher (For most weekends you will want to have a vehicle parked in the voucher line by 5:00 Friday, to get a Saturday parking voucher)

Or, if your rig is going out on the sand (your quad in the bed of your truck)  you can get a dune ready voucher and drive right in.

It goes pretty smooth if someone who knows the system guides you thru it once, or at least explains it all in detail.

I just tell people to join in with us and do what we do. LOL

LMS1977 and special06shee (Mike and Bucky) are from PA (Coal hill climbers) and talking about coming west and joining us for a ride this year. You know either of them?

ok cool thanks for all of that info man, it was very helpful! I dont know them personally but ive seen LMS's vids and ive see some of speial06shee's stuff on here. We have 1 thing in common though, we all ride the PA coal hills lol. I gotta see what date my guys want to go exactly but for now at least I have some sort of info and "guidance" if you will. I will let you know for sure what we are doing and when. So me and my guys have ridden in Pismo beach Cali years ago, have you ridden any other dunes? I ask because i wanted to see your opinion of silver lake compared to somewhere else. Like are there big dunes and enough area to have fun for a few days or is it a straight up Drag type of place etc. I can watch youtube all day (which i have lol) but id rather ask someone like you that has been there many times. Thanks again!!! :cheers:

To answer your question.....silver Lake is a SANDBOX compared to other dunes. LOL.

But it offers a super wide variety of types of sand riding. The hills aren't massive, but it's still a blast to ride and it's the only real shot you have at sand riding without needing to involve a semi- and a plane flight. LOL

Look for the "Dune TV" videos on Youtube. You'll see all the different types of ride action. Especially in the 2012 teaser videos.