should pistons look like this after 10 hrs?

kjh

Why is the top end off after 10 hours?

68.5 wsm pistons. Torco oil with 110. Did not clean.

Ok, first of all, it looks like your bore is pretty straight, and rings were doing their job due to minimum ring blowby on piston...looks good. Piston is very clean for 10 hours on gas, this means the oil is either very clean burning, or you may be washing due to slightly over-rich, or  a over octaned condition ( if your domes are falling between 15 and 30 m/s sq. velocity, low sv's can look like this as well). The WSM coating on the skirts is a little more worn than it should be with this amount of time on the pistons, and it appears(in the picture anyway) that the pistons have no glossy appearance on the crown or skirts...not good. Lean mixtures can cause no gloss on the crown, but their is no gloss on the skirts, or sign of chalking on the crown.. so, I say its not lean.

Instead, I lean torwards a clean burning oil (possibly slightly washed) wiith minimal stiction characteristics..unless its one of these 60-100-1 ratio oils.

My Advice...hone, clean well, skotchbrite piston skirts slightly, and change oils. 927 Maxima at 32-1 will have a little more ash on the crown(no biggy,but it's stiction and glossy appearance are much better ,even at leaner fuel settings, and its bearing protection is second to NONE.

This  observation explains the loss of molybdium coating on the skirts...if its wearing the coating faster than normal, it's wearing everything else at a faster rate than a high end lubricant would...Jim

:rolleyes: Or........just put it back together and continue as you were.  ;)

Really? Hone a cylinder with only 10 hours on it? So much for "rings doing their job by minimizing blowby"  :yank:

The cylinder isn't even pictured! 

Put it back together, lap that flywheel when you put it back on so it stays on...then go ride. :headbang:

• Like 1

:rolleyes: Or........just put it back together and continue as you were.  ;)

Really? Hone a cylinder with only 10 hours on it? So much for "rings doing their job by minimizing blowby"  :yank:

The cylinder isn't even pictured! 

Put it back together, lap that flywheel when you put it back on so it stays on...then go ride. Slight hone :headbang:

Slight hone John... I would be willing to bet that if the intake skirt looks like that at 10 hours on a gas engine, their will be slight verticle markings in the bore. In almost every case, cylinders should be slightly honed and cleaned well everytime you teardown.. did you notice, I didn't say re-ring, that should tell you I didnt think it was wasted, it just needs re-grouping, the moly coating and "dry" apearance speaks for itself..Jim

Well if i honed them i couldnt put it back together without new rings.. Just myz $.02

Why not, the rings are obviously in great condition, you can tell that by the minimal blowby. If you slight hone, they will just lap themselves a tad and carry on in the same manner as before. The condition of the piston verifies that their is no symetrical inconsistancy..they are as good as new(-.0002") in overall diameter perhaps, you can have that much inconsistancy between 2 different sets of "new" rings...Jim