same problem, no spark

ballzout

I have an 89' shee with the same issue, no spark. I have done the tests that the service guide shows to do to measure resistance, but I am not sure if I am doing it right. Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, as I can't see spending $65 to a local shop to do diags on it when I could put that $65 tward the part I need to replace. Which brings up another issue, where can I get a CDI unit ? I have only seen after market ones which go for over $400 ? What about a coil as well ? I know I can get a stator from Ricky stator, or is there some place better ?

Ballzout,Did you get your banshee running yet .If not in detail give me your resistance readings that you get with dvom and what you have tried.I may be able to help

Please excuse my wording and or explanations of the tests but I will do my best to describe what I have done.

Following the flow chart in the service manual here is what I got.

Step7 on page 243

For the primary coil test ( orange and black ) I got a reading of .4 ohm.

Not sure how the other test for the coil is suppesed to be done ? They call it secondary coil resistance test. Picture shows leaving the multi-meter on black and then testing one of the plug wires ( plug cap ) ? I got no readings doing this.

Then the next test was pick up coil resistance, disconnect the CDI magneto coupler ( Green, Red, white/red, white/green ).

White/red and white/green I got 145 ohm.

Green and red I got 17 ohm.

I am going to go buy a new coil $50, and probably just order a Ricky Stator online $125. What is your advice ? My stator is a 200w Ricky stator, not sure how old it is, it came with the bike. Most shops tell me that 99% of the time no spark means bad stator. Ricky Stator says they have never had one go bad ? I don't really have easy access to another banshee to swap CDI boxes either. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I am still trying to get my shee back up and running, it is dune season after all. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to by-pass or test my on/off or kill switch to eliminate that from the possibilities ? I am not getting any spark, I tested the stator and coil as per the service guide and things check out good, as far as i can tell ? I just hate to spend any more time or money on this thing, I just want to ride :D