2-5 over ride Trans Question

mailman

I have a non dunable 2-5 over ride trans. I recently broke a few teeth on a gear. I currently have another trans and I am looking at it on the bench and going through the gears. All is good except for 4th. When the trans shifts to 4th on the bench, one of the shift forks has a lot of room to move back and forth. In the right spot, the trans will bind up again which I am trying to avoid. I am wondering if I install a spring between the two forks (like on the duanbles) to force the fork all the way over when the trans is in 4th that it will fix this potential problem.

Any thoughts or experience on this is appreciated.

Mailman

i'm sure it's not supposed to move that much. if you instal a spring, what is going to let it fall out once 5th takes over? do you have another fork to try out? upi may have to have the drum re-welded in the low spot and ground to proper clearance.. also, make sure the drum is fully seated and the retainer is not worn down.

I have two complete trans with drums and both drums are cut the same way. I think the gear is supposed to spin out of the way from the force of rotation when you shift. It worked fine for a while. It may have just been rider error. It just seems like the spring would be good insurance.

I will look at the fork closer but initial inspection seems like the fork is fine.

I have another fork to install/compare it to. It looks fine.

My question is whether a spring would do any harm if installed between the forks to help insure the fork slides all the way over in 4th gear. The drum is cut so the fork can move back and forth.

It is hard to describe w/out pics.