Finally got the beast put together

Paulie B

is this a joke?

Not at all sir.

I'm trying to jet a 10mil vitos 465 with stock carbs. I've had the carbs off 7 times now re-jeting them and it will not run right.

I would even consider myself a veteran tuner but this has me baffled.

Of course I know they are horribly wrong but this is a trail piped, stock headed, trail set-up!!

I'm being serious.

Someone help please?

Edited by Paulie B

465 10 mill with stock carbs?

Um, we all like to debate carb needs from time to time. I'm a fan of finding different ways to do things. I have no problem with single carbs on 350-370 size motors, and we've made 75HP with stock carbs on a 400.

But if your running stock carbs on a 465......your doing it wrong. You might as well use DG pipes and 2 pairs of socks for an outerwear while your at it.

Get some 35's or 39's and try again.

If your really running carbs that small on that motor....your going to be WAY out in left field as far a jetting. You might need tiny pilots due to the excessive signal strength they will see with that big motor sucking like crazy on the jets.

Seriously, get some bigger carbs.

465 10 mill with stock carbs?

Um, we all like to debate carb needs from time to time. I'm a fan of finding different ways to do things. I have no problem with single carbs on 350-370 size motors, and we've made 75HP with stock carbs on a 400.

But if your running stock carbs on a 465......your doing it wrong. You might as well use DG pipes and 2 pairs of socks for an outerwear while your at it.

Get some 35's or 39's and try again.

If your really running carbs that small on that motor....your going to be WAY out in left field as far a jetting. You might need tiny pilots due to the excessive signal strength they will see with that big motor sucking like crazy on the jets.

Seriously, get some bigger carbs.

You might be on to something with the pilots and thats what baffles me- it seems to be running way rich. All the way through the mid range too.

At about 9-10k it hits a switch and wants to almost flip.

I hear you on the bigger carbs but I have to leave in 3 days for a riding trip I don't have time to get them. Hells I just got the motor together 2 days ago.

I KNOW it can run better then it is even with the stockers.

I have Dyna needles, 25-30 pilots, and 260-420 main jets to work with we can get it better.

Edited by Paulie B

When your carbs are way undersized, the jets will flow WAY more fuel than normal. (It's like your sucking on a straw harder than normal.) The motor will be crazy fat. Leaning it down will help it run better, but your SO FAR OFF on your carb size, that riding the bike with that set-up is just way too risky. Like you have seen, it'll be a nightmare to keep happy. On the low end the jetting will be fat. As the motor revs it will lean out. But.....you might never find a balance. So your risking burning up a new motor.

What would you do if just before your trip, you couldn't find any shoes or boots to wear? Would you still just go and ride barefoot?

This is the same situation.....your not prepared for this trip because your carbs aren't ready for that big motor. Just like riding all day in your bare feet....you can try it, but is it worth the damage?

Your machine, so it's your call. But I've seen this before and the jetting will never be right. It's either happy in the low RPM's or happy in the pipe. But if you figure on letting it stay fat on the bottom end so you won't risk leaning it too far down on the top....you'll end up with fouled plugs and the bike's going to run like crap no matter what.

At least you know that the fix is easy. Get some bigger carbs and you'll not only make more power...but you'll be back in the ballpark as far as jetting advice.

I've heard of guys running 4 mils and even cubs on stock carbs. I'm in it for a flat curve and lots of torque.

What you said makes sense to me though I suppose eventually you get to a point when the carb just can't regulate all that air coming in right.

I think I got a buddy whos bringin PK 34's on pods for me to try.

Hey man what size do you think would be ideal for what I want? 30's? I mean I like running the airbox too.

We had a 4 mill Vito's cylinder bike that was running 34PJ's. That's about as small as I would go and that motor was smaller. The PJ's are really tough to get in tune also. I'd say 35PWK or 39PWK.

You don't get torque from running small carbs. You can't make torque if you can't feed the motor a good mix of fuel and air.

If your planning on running an air box...then that's just restriction #2.

Starting to sound like you bought way too much motor for what your trying to do. :unsure:

Get a set of 35PWK's and a set of filters and outerwears and you'll be just fine. Forget the air box.

If your friend is bringing 34's....is he bringing intakes too?

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

We had a 4 mill Vito's cylinder bike that was running 34PJ's. That's about as small as I would go and that motor was smaller. The PJ's are really tough to get in tune also. I'd say 35PWK or 39PWK.

You don't get torque from running small carbs. You can't make torque if you can't feed the motor a good mix of fuel and air.

If your planning on running an air box...then that's just restriction #2.

Starting to sound like you bought way too much motor for what your trying to do. :unsure:

Get a set of 35PWK's and a set of filters and outerwears and you'll be just fine. Forget the air box.

If your friend is bringing 34's....is he bringing intakes too?

Yes he's bringin the intakes too. I'm gonna check out those PWK's -thanks!

I got it going good on the stockers. I had the carbs off no less then 20 times.

Believe it or not it runs best with the stock pilots (25's), stock needles with the clip all the way op the top, 370 mains.

Massive torque, massive top-end, wheelies in 4th just giving it gas!

Possible video coming soon

I got it going good on the stockers. I had the carbs off no less then 20 times.

Believe it or not it runs best with the stock pilots (25's), stock needles with the clip all the way op the top, 370 mains.

Massive torque, massive top-end, wheelies in 4th just giving it gas!

Possible video coming soon

While I disagree you MUST have bigger carbs to make it work, it will work better with bigger carbs.

I put stock carbs and T5 pipes on my old 4 mil cub motor (35PWK and RDZ inframe on the way when I built it) and it ran and dyno'd fine.

I had 27.5 pilots and 370 or 380 mains as well.

You already know you're losing peak HP and torque with smaller carbs. But it should still run and run well, just not as much potential ....<br><br>I also agree with Windy, don't waste time with PJs unless they're given to you Paulie.<br>33 or 35PWK would be fine on that motor.  I wouldn't put 39s on unless you wanted it to be a strict dragger.<br>