2001 banshee from the dead

vermen

I need some help with a Banshee that has sat outside for the last two and a half years.

So I found this wheeler behind my dealer's shop the other day. It was a 2001 Yamaha Banshee he said someone dropped it off 3 summers ago to have new breaks put on it. I offered him $300 for it and he said make it $200 and it's yours. So i get it home empty the gas tank, change all of the fluids (clutch/coolant) clean the carbs, clean the air filter. After several kicks it fires up (I am delighted) I ride it around the yard a little and back in the shop for tomorrow. Everything seemed pretty good from what I could tell it didn't idle after it was warm which is understandable. The next day I go to start it and it's really hard to start but, it idled for a while then I took it out for a 5min ride, it was a little unpredictable on the throttle, and when I came coasting in (no brakes yet) it died, wouldn't start again. It will run really well for a few seconds then crappy then good again. I have cleaned the carbs twice now made sure all of the hoses are clear. I found the vent on the gas cap plugged cleaned that out. Made sure I was getting spark, that was good. I checked the compression which was around 110, from what I have read that's probably alright. Could it be a jetting issue? I do live at 8,500ft on a Mountain in Wyoming. The dealer I bought it from is at about 5,000ft and I am assuming the person who owned it before me would have had it set up for that elevation. For some reason I haven't payed much attention to what jets are in it while cleaning the carbs. (wishful thinking I guess). I haven't done a leak down test yet.

Here is a run down of mods I have noticed:

• Toomy T5 exhaust

• Trinity stage IV head

• K&N air filter

• twist grip throttle

• inline fuel filter (clean checked that)

I'm running out of possibilities wondering if anyone has any experience reviving these things? I had a blaster when I was younger and did some work on that but, I am pretty inexperienced in the Banshee world. Everything I have owned since my blaster has been a four stroke.

Thanks for your help sorry this is so long.

It has a boost bottle too forgot to mention that.

I just went a tried starting it again, it fired right up idled pretty high then eventually died. I did notice some oil coming out of the exhaust right at the cylinder could that be the problem? Exhaust leak?

Kind of seems like theres a vacuum leak somewhere...probably from the damn boost bottle messing up the intake...jetting probably is off also id look at the plugs and maybe put new ones in it also. 200 bucks for a banshee is awesome...you could get more then that selling the exhaust alone on it. Id love to see pics.

I could be completely way off base here but a machine that has sat outside for that long, especially in the kind of weather you get in the mountains of Wyoming is most definitely and obviously going to have a few strange bugs to be worked out. I would go through the entire electrical system clean all connections, pull stator cover clean whatever needs to be cleaned, and get yourself a TORS removal kit with idle screws if it doesn't have it already. The TORS will wreak havoc on a running machine let alone one that has been sitting out in the weather untouched for that long. All though you probably already have the kit since you have a twist throttle, I don't know though since I've never ran a twist on a quad.

If it were me that thing would be torn down immediately and every wire, nut, bolt, and bearing would be inspected, cleaned, lubed, or replaced if needed. I would ditch that boost bottle for the stock crossover tube and make sure there's no rips in the intake boots. As far as how it runs now, is the choke tube in place? Did you take the carbs apart one at a time? Some of the parts may look like they're interchangeable but they're not. Slides in the right way? Carbs sync'd?

Congratulations though 200 bucks is an F'ing deal and a half!! There's also a service manual you can download in the technical section if you don't have one yet.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I messed with it a little this morning and I think I have it figured out. The throttle seemed like it was adjusted a little too tight so I loosened that up and it's running good for now. It may be a little sticky too but, I think the major problem was it flooding when I was trying to start it. Starts first kick and it will start and idle when it's warm. So far so good. I plan on going through everything I just wanted to make sure it would run and there weren't any major issues before I start dumping money into it but, for a $200 machine I can afford to spend a little. Here is a pic if it will upload.

post-44078-0-63049100-1344910750_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of your help guys. I messed with it a little this morning and I think I have it figured out. The throttle seemed like it was adjusted a little too tight so I loosened that up and it's running good for now. It may be a little sticky too but, I think the major problem was it flooding when I was trying to start it. Starts first kick and it will start and idle when it's warm. So far so good. I plan on going through everything I just wanted to make sure it would run and there weren't any major issues before I start dumping money into it but, for a $200 machine I can afford to spend a little. Here is a pic if it will upload.

Hell yea looks good...i see billet pipe clamps, kenda klaws different front bumper and different head too, sweet.