WTF kerosine as an octane booster?

one of my jack ass friends said that u can use a bit of kerosine in the fuel mixture as an octane booster,he supported his theory telling me that kerosine is the same as petroleum which is actually diesel fuel but with less additives.

mentioning the diesel he got me to think its possible but because i have poor knowing of chemistry i decided to ask u did anyone heard any similar stories?

don't believe your buddy...

Toluene

Xylene

Methanol or Ethanol

those 3 are the easiest for bumping octane lvl's but require more than just dumping in some or a combo of any of those chemicals.

search for home made octane boosters and you will find a few different ways.

I have heard similar a long time ago but never cared to look into it. They make specific products for boosting octane, so I would prob start with those as an octane booster or buy higher octane fuel.

just read few articles about octane boosters and 90% of them use kerosine as a base in the mix with toluene,xylene or Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether

what a rip offfffffffffff!!!!!!

here is the page with DIY octane boosters:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/44006-homemade-octane-booster-formulas.html

just read few articles about octane boosters and 90% of them use kerosine as a base in the mix with toluene,xylene or Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether

what a rip offfffffffffff!!!!!!

here is the page with DIY octane boosters:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/44006-homemade-octane-booster-formulas.html

they are using it as a detergent not a octane booster. all home made boosters require a detergent and lube.

Kerosine is more like #1 diesel, which is closer to jet fuel than the actual fuel you put in your trucks. The diesel you get at a pump is #2 diesel. As an octane booster I'm not sure how it would work out. It could slow the burn down, which would reduce detonation, but would you really gain power? I wouldn't imagine.

Also, diesel is considered a lubricant, gasoline is considered a solvent.

Edited by 03crawldaddy

Kerosine is more like #1 diesel, which is closer to jet fuel than the actual fuel you put in your trucks. The diesel you get at a pump is #2 diesel. As an octane booster I'm not sure how it would work out. It could slow the burn down, which would reduce detonation, but would you really gain power? I wouldn't imagine.

Also, diesel is considered a lubricant, gasoline is considered a solvent.

You hit it right on the nose, well said my friend :headbang: