Sticky clutch cable

I was installing my clutch perch and cable and noticed my cable was insanely hard to move. I spent about 10 minutes lubricating it and wiping off the nasty rust that the lube was getting out. It's pretty smooth now, but when I pull the clutch it hardly has any tension, and barely even retracts once I release the clutch. I checked the spring on the clutch mechanism on top of the case and it's fine, but the clutch mechanism that goes in the case doesn't move back and forth very freely. I don't know how easy it should move. I'm thinking that having that mechanism being sticky is my problem but what can I do?

If you're trying to operate the clutch just with the actuator arm it's not going to move all that freely since you're trying to operate the clutch with a little tiny lever, but you might want to pull it out and check the actuator bearing like Sick350 mentioned, clean, lube, and replace the seal. Definitely get a new clutch cable though..

My actuator bearing was bad on my last rebuild. The new actuator arm would move but felt bumpy. I was checking it with the ball and rod out. The bearing had left marks in my old actuator arm so I knew it was bearing time. Some people have told me they could just dig theirs out from the top of the case but I destroyed the bearing trying. I had to use a die grinder and a small wheel to split the outside race of the bearing to get it free from the case bore. I was very careful not to nick into the aluminum bore the bearing slides into and it ended up working out fine for me. If your bearing is bad I am hoping yours will just slide out for ya. Good luck.

Edited by Chip M

I don't have my clymer in front of me. Do I need to pop off the clutch cover and remove the center nut on the clutch? I tried taking it out earlier and it didn't want to and I had no intention of using any real force to get it out.

yes. Break the nut loose nut and back the screw out until the pressure is off the actuator arm. If you take the screw out all the way, careful not to loose the ball that is in there. Take the cable and spring off the arm and see if the arm moves freely in the case.

Any advice on replacing the clutch actuator bearing if I have to? Also does it require splitting the cases?

No you dont have to split cases. My first post tells pretty much what I had to do but some people have told me that their bearing slid right out. Pull out the actuator arm and there should be a washer on top of the bearing. With some luck you would be able to use a small pick or awl and get hold of the edge of the bearing race and get it loose. Try a little on one side of the race and go to opposite side of race to try to keep the pressure even. Maybe 2 picks at the same time. I have also seen bearing pullers that will expand on the end like a expandable freeze plug. They have a slide hammer attached and you pull it out like using a dent puller.

http://www.harborfreight.com/blind-hole-bearing-puller-95987.html