Dmc 916 help

Uf21

I just installed the dmc 916s. A few questions:

1. I used the stock stinger rubber connector and it tightens over the stinger properly but it doesn't tighten properly over the pipe (if you know why I mean). I started the bike and the usual smoke you see at cold start out of silencers, I seen a bit coming out of where the stingers connects to the pipe. Would that be a problem?

2. Where you connect the mid pipe to the silencer there are nuts and washers. Do the washers go with the nuts or between the mid pipe and silencer?

3. The silencer doesn't screw on because my rear light stops it from reaching the holes for the screws. Is the silencer meant to sit lower or do I have to move the light?

Edited by Uf21

1. Exhaust leaking at the joint where the stinger pipe meets the head pipe is no big deal. Most put clamps on them because oil will leak out and create a black mess of shit right there.

2. Not sure I understand what you are asking here. Pics would help.

3. Relocate, modify, or fab up a new brake light mount so it is out of the way.

4. Always rejet after installing aftermarket exhaust.

Edited by andrew3160

1. Exhaust leaking at the joint where the stinger pipe meets the head pipe is no big deal. Most put clamps on them because oil will leak out and create a black mess of shit right there.

2. Not sure I understand what you are asking here. Pics would help.

3. Relocate, modify, or fab up a new brake light mount so it is out of the way.

4. Always rejet after installing aftermarket exhaust.

What I did with the light mount is just out it upside down for now. I can fab one up since I'm a metal fabricator but out of curiosity does the muffler bracket reach the holes cause when I try to move the muffler to the holes but the stingers push up against the frame a lot. I think I have the older style dmc 916. Am I doing something wrong?

Here is a picture of the silencer 49c8b0ba.jpg

And here is a picture of how I put the tail light. 11ebc38e.jpg

according to the DMC website the picture of their banshee with the older style light vs. yours. The mid pipe crosses the frame to the silencer in the same spot or close to the same height. The only difference I see between the two are the rubber bushings to mount the silencer - they are important. solid mounting can cause weld fractures. The other difference is you have a brake light, where theirs only has a tail light.

pictures for reference

http://www.dmc-on-line.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=323

Any leak in the exhaust between the engine and the silencer is a potential for inefficiency. The two stroke gets its power from the unburned fuel in the exhaust and mixing air into the system has the potential for power loss. Is it a big deal? No, but I would do my best with trying to seal it up.

Adam

according to the DMC website the picture of their banshee with the older style light vs. yours. The mid pipe crosses the frame to the silencer in the same spot or close to the same height. The only difference I see between the two are the rubber bushings to mount the silencer - they are important. solid mounting can cause weld fractures. The other difference is you have a brake light, where theirs only has a tail light.

pictures for reference

http://www.dmc-on-line.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=323

Any leak in the exhaust between the engine and the silencer is a potential for inefficiency. The two stroke gets its power from the unburned fuel in the exhaust and mixing air into the system has the potential for power loss. Is it a big deal? No, but I would do my best with trying to seal it up.

Adam

I think I will just fabricate a new mount for the light.

With the leak, is it a big loss in power?

The rubber connector/clamp tightens on the stinger good but doesnt tighten on the header the best. Would a smaller clamp do the trick or would I need a whole new rubber connector?

Msc tool has the vibration isolators for I think 4 bucks a piece...I will get you the part number tonight when I get home...ill also show pic of how I mounted light...I have old style and the isolators are a must

What the hell is this guy saying about isolators? The rubber things are NOT NEEDED. I called DMC, they told me it was a bad design and they no longer make it like that.

As a metal fabricator I was thinking that vibration shouldn't really be a problem for the welds.

I ended up making my own hangers for the silencer bracket.

MSC Tool is a tool and part company based out of Pennsylvania USA....you can find them online

and what i was saying is if you want to run the isolators there is a duplicate that you can get to make it right....

heaven forbid i should answer the guys question

hell just weld the exhaust solid to your frame...problem solved