pancake bearing

Chip M

I took my clutch apart today because it was turning back and forth without the driven gear turning. I expected to see the cushions beat up when I separated the basket from the driven gear but I found something I did not expect. Maybe some kind of quick fix engineering. I posted a pic . No wonder I had the slop in the basket.They could have at least wrapped a little electrical tape around it. lol. I have a new pancake bearing to install with the new basket and plates and I see it in no way attaches to the new pressure plate. I was curious as to whether or not you guys use the fiber spacer/gasket that was in between the basket and driven gear when I separated them. Also what about the thrust washer that was in between the back plate and the driven gear? I have everything except the billet basket kit, it should be in tomorrow. The kit said it included a new back plate, cushions, basket and screws. Nothing about a thrust washer or fiber spacer. Thanks

2012-04-12_18-19-16_115.jpg

It had 4 large and 4 small cushions. Lots of room to move

Below is a pic of the thrust washer

Edited by Chip M

Yes you want to re-use the thrust washer just like it was on the stock basket. You will also want to re-use the gasket that sits behind the cushions if its in good enough shape. I've done then without the gasket and it doesn't seem to matter, but if you can save it from the old then go ahead and re-use it with the new billet basket. Your new billet basket should come with some new cushions. If it does not, then I would call up the builder of your choice (I prefer Kevin @ HJR) and get a set of new cushions. Don't re-use the soft junky stock cushions.

Hope that helps!

- Jared

Thanks for the info guys, the billet basket came in today and it has new cushions and a back plate with screws. It went together like a dream. I can't believe Yamaha stills sells their baskets with the flat side drivers for the cushions. The radius side drivers that fit between the cushions on the billet basket makes a better fit and you have much more of a bearing surface that is taking all the pounding, seems like it should last much longer. I will need all the strength I can get, real soon I hope to get Brandon to work some of his port magic on my cylinders!!

Thanks for the info guys, the billet basket came in today and it has new cushions and a back plate with screws. It went together like a dream. I can't believe Yamaha stills sells their baskets with the flat side drivers for the cushions. The radius side drivers that fit between the cushions on the billet basket makes a better fit and you have much more of a bearing surface that is taking all the pounding, seems like it should last much longer. I will need all the strength I can get, real soon I hope to get Brandon to work some of his port magic on my cylinders!!

Next time get a Hinson Spring-loaded basket. I've got one in my 10mil cub and in my 485 cheetah.

- Jared