35pwk WITH pods and airbox? Ideas?

rjdgriff

Ok so I do alot of trail riding and get into ALOT of mud and water with the shee, so open pods is not an option for me...

Question I have is... Have any of you ever made a set up with 35pwk carbs, running pods and the airbox? If so how did you do it?

Any thoughts, suggestion or advice anyone can send my way would be great... Thanks

Ok so I do alot of trail riding and get into ALOT of mud and water with the shee, so open pods is not an option for me...

Question I have is... Have any of you ever made a set up with 35pwk carbs, running pods and the airbox? If so how did you do it?

Any thoughts, suggestion or advice anyone can send my way would be great... Thanks

I am also going to attempt this. There is that alum airbox on ebay that claims it will work with any size carb, but sounds like a rip off to me. I'm goin to attempt to hack mine up and make it shorter and only use 2 of the holding brackets. My one friend did it and rode for like 4 yrs like that. If it works I will post pics

I was wondering the same thing but what I was debating was if you run k&n's with an airbox, would it really be that much of a difference when running foam filters?

I mean I know k&n's perform better but one would think running an open airbox contributes to it...

Either way I want to try out running the enclosed k&n's with prechargers but wondering how to go about it with the stock airbox.

I run 35's and i modded my air box and run a big single cone K/N filter and an outerwear. (It's basically a splash guard now) More then enough air. I run mostly trails, dirt, some light mud ect ect. No issues.

Unless you plan on treating you Banshee like a jet ski....I'd just run the outerwear's filter covers. All my bikes have open filters and I run all over "The Badlands" and go blasting thru big puddles at Silver lake sand dunes without issue. Of all the riding I did last year, the bike only got the filters wet enough to kill the motor one time. I sat just long enough to ask the guy I was riding with the old "Did you see what I just did" question, and by the time we were done laughing, it started on the second kick and we were off. 3 gear changes later it was business as usual.

We have one guy with that aluminum air box on his bike. It's a nice piece, but it doesn't mount to the bike very well near the carbs, so it puts a lot of force on the carb boots.

Plus we dyno tune our bikes and nothing is more frustrating than having to remove carbs from a bike for jet changes when they a sandwiched between the intakes and the air box.

I think that is the #1 reason to buy Mikuni flat slide 28's or 35 PWK's......they are a dream to change jets vs. stock carbs and air boxes. :drool:

im running pod's and made my own type of air box out of alum sheet metal, it not mounted but i made it a tight enough fit that it just slides in front under the back of the seat and seems to stay in there fine with a couple ties.

You should post some pics on this thread of it for me :)

You should post some pics on this thread of it for me :)

if you have some sheet metal and something to bend the corners with then its a piece of cake. all i did was make a box with an open top and open front. i made it too big so i could keep trimming the tops of the sides till it fit right. hope this helps :cheers:

I've been running K&N filters with outerwears for years with no issues. Only time was a night ride at LS and I wound up in the middle a a huge water puddle (becasue it was dark) about 3 ft deep. That of course was a mess. But it did start and clean out fine. Would likely have been the same situation if I'd had an airbox without a lid anyway.

SP

I just have a hard time seeing pods with outerwears deflecting water very well, not to mention them getting getting covered in mud lol.

I would like to get something that I can take off and get out of the way easily and not have to dick around with boots and crap every time I re-jet lol

Right now I'm running stock airbox with k&n pro flow kit/filter but it's a real bastard to do anything with my carbs

I just have a hard time seeing pods with outerwears deflecting water very well, not to mention them getting getting covered in mud lol.

I would like to get something that I can take off and get out of the way easily and not have to dick around with boots and crap every time I re-jet lol

Right now I'm running stock airbox with k&n pro flow kit/filter but it's a real bastard to do anything with my carbs

Outerwears shed water like off a ducks back.

How would you get mud all over your filters? The motor is in front of the carbs and way forward of the rear tires.

Try it....you'll like it. You don't even have to take the filters off of the carbs when you jet. You only pull filters and outerwear's to clean and re-oil filters..

Outerwears shed water like off a ducks back.

How would you get mud all over your filters? The motor is in front of the carbs and way forward of the rear tires.

Try it....you'll like it. You don't even have to take the filters off of the carbs when you jet. You only pull filters and outerwear's to clean and re-oil filters..

When I talk about getting into mud, I mean some serious mud!!! Mud to the point that my fenders are sagging to the tires!!! Mud to the point that it take 30 min to wash it at the car wash!!! Mud in every nook and cranny!!! Lol. That's the type of mud that I think would cause me problems without the box lol

If you can weld just cut off the tabs from the frame. Installl the air box. Match the tab to the new location and weld them back in place. Just like stock and should take 15min.

I can't weld for shit, but I do know a few ppl who could handle that... Good advice, thanks

If you can weld just cut off the tabs from the frame. Installl the air box. Match the tab to the new location and weld them back in place. Just like stock and should take 15min.

I posted this a month back! its perfect, Weld a nut on the tab, run a 8mm bolt through it, line the box up to the new location and weld it place. The 8mm bolt serves as the new bung to hold the box in place and you are golden! Very useful with 35's on a CUB/SERVAL cylinder. You can remove the bolts and slide the airbox right off no problem : )

Adam