Bring back 2 strokes?

This is a email I sent to AMA, I'm sure they won't read it, but worth a shot haha. Everyone should email them, stir things up a bit.

I saw that some riders have been racing on 2 strokes. Why do 125's compete against 250 4 strokes and 250 2 strokes against 450 4 stokes, doesn't seem fair that they are competing against bikes with nearly twice the displacement. Are 2 strokes that superior to have a 125cc or 200cc disadvantage?

Edited by esseclipse

its power to weight ratio.

Please explain, are you saying that a 4 stroke gets nearly double the displacement advantage because the 2 stroke makes so much more power per CC?

Here is a quote from MXA, "It didn’t get there by virtue of its power per cubic centimeter, power per pound or power per dollar. Nope! Without the AMA four-stroke exemption rule of 1998, the modern four-stroke would still be defined by the Honda XR600."

2011 YZ250 2 stroke 43HP @ 8500, 30.6 TQ

2011 YZ250f 4 stroke 36HP @ 11300, 20.1 TQ

They both weigh 227 lbs wet according to Yamaha's site.

Ever hear the statement there is no replacement for displacement? It should be 250 vs. 250 and 450 vs 450.

Edited by esseclipse

There is no way a 4 stroke 450 would be able to keep up with a 450 2 stroke. Look at the motogp 2 strokes. Those were 500cc's and when 4 stroke motogp bikes came on the scene, they were liter bikes....twice the size. 2 strokes are lighter and make power on every stroke, unlike the 4 stroke.

There is no way a 4 stroke 450 would be able to keep up with a 450 2 stroke. Look at the motogp 2 strokes. Those were 500cc's and when 4 stroke motogp bikes came on the scene, they were liter bikes....twice the size. 2 strokes are lighter and make power on every stroke, unlike the 4 stroke.

I still don't think they should get that much of a displacement and HP advantage. A stock 2011 YZ450 has 52.4 HP, no way a 250 2 stroke competes with that, especially one with early 2000's technology compared to 2012 4 stroke technology. The AMA rule was not set up to have competitive balance but to make the 4 stroke superior and eliminate 2 strokes because the big 4 wanted to sell 4 strokes. I'm not the type of person that says 4 strokes blow, they just arn't for me and I would like to have the option to buy a new 2 stroke if I want to. I like the fact that they are easy to work on, make lots of power per cc, are lighter and less complex, the way they sound and smell.

I ride bikes and go to as many of the races as I can and dvr the rest. Daytona has created a pretty good sized following for Ricky Renner, Ryan Smith and two strokes in general. It was cool as hell to see them out there racing Renner is going to race New Orleans. AMA is a problem if you ride a two stroke quad or dirtbike. Everybody should do their part on here. Like twostrokemotocross on facebook and help Renner out I will be dropping a hundy. Fans are helping him out on this page and others because they want to see two strokes out racing. The big four and the AMA are seeing this and will continue to see this uproar. Hopefully they will follow Ktm's lead and offer us some more options for smokers.

I still don't think they should get that much of a displacement and HP advantage. A stock 2011 YZ450 has 52.4 HP, no way a 250 2 stroke competes with that, especially one with early 2000's technology compared to 2012 4 stroke technology. The AMA rule was not set up to have competitive balance but to make the 4 stroke superior and eliminate 2 strokes because the big 4 wanted to sell 4 strokes. I'm not the type of person that says 4 strokes blow, they just arn't for me and I would like to have the option to buy a new 2 stroke if I want to. I like the fact that they are easy to work on, make lots of power per cc, are lighter and less complex, the way they sound and smell.

The 2012 Ktm 250sx has 50 horse pretty damn close to the 450's and it is also quite a bit lighter then any 450. I sold my 450 and am thinking I will be buying a Orange mx bike! If Ktm had just a little bigger nuts they would put Marvin Musquin on a 250sx instead of that under powered 350. He would make the main for sure! It could be huge for marketing for them. They could say we have three different bikes that can compete on the biggest stage in dirt bike racing!

ktm smokers are bad ass.. with some of the snomobile industry staying strong on 2 stroke tech and also evinrude's maintaining that 2 smokes are domanat against 4 fart can rides there is hope still

I think with a few 2 stokes racing in these Supercross races it is a great opportunity for 2 stroke lovers to make some noise and get excited about it. These guys have next to no chance but its nice to see the buzz it is creating and I hope members on here as well as any 2 stoke lovers will email the AMA, the manufacturers and continue to create a buzz on the forums. Its a long shot but our only hope if we would like to see a new 2 stoke on showroom floors in our future. Who knows, maybe Yamaha will come out with a 2013 Banshee...haha.