How many HQ members own 4 mill Cub or Serval motors?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what is the verdict?? Worth your time or not

Doesn't look like it. :( I was optimistic, but not reaching a ton of people. Plus money is very tight with a lot of people, so now might not be the best time.

I had a custom piston maker who I was going to team up with to make custom pistons and domes for different cub combos. (Move pin height, gaskets, domes to change timings or squish.)

The idea would be to make cubs into Servals or make Servals closer to cubs without having to mail cylinders around the country to builders. I was hoping it would give some new life to Cubs that people had, but wished they had Servals. Plus with all the custom pin height options, I was thinking some major builders might enjoy having an option for custom motor builds.

Problem is it's $12,000 per piston mold. So I was going to just stick to the 68 bore Cub. I would have loved to do something in the stock piston style, but that would have broken the bank.

I know the builders out there can do almost all the adjustments you can think of.....but I was hoping to offer something else for their playbook, plus be able to do some custom fitments for people on a budget. (AKA No more need for spacer plates.)

I see SO MANY people who do rebuilds, but won't get any porting. It sounds cheap to just get $300-$400 in porting done. but when you add up the cost to ship the cylinders to and from....it can add up for the average young guy. I was thinking that something between an "As delivered cub build" and a "Full top builder port job build" might be an affordable option. Plus with all the interest in the Serval, I thought a custom kit to convert a Cub to a Serval (timing wise) or even doing something with slightly lower timings might be a nice option. (That way your not decking a cylinder to lower timings, then your stuck with it.)

I'm sure I'll keep kicking the idea around. (I'm sure it's not an original thought)

But with a forger 10 minuets from my house who has been pestering me to let him make me some pistons to try..... :shrugani: To bad he didn't mention the $12,000 start up mold till I toured the operation. :cry: I could still see doing it...but the return on the investment would be a long way out. I could do the same thing by using WSM to custom make me a piston, but I'd have people looking at internet prices and saying my piston costs were jacked not knowing about the additional costs to make then to the custom specs. :lol:

Like they say - "Fast ain't cheap...and cheap ain't fast".......And CUSTOM... :o That's for deep pockets only. LOL.

welp like you i do plan on buying a set of sniper pipes but also like you that particular bike is not the highest on my "projects" list.. and like most i dont feel they are worth 700+ bucks so i have to try and get a set for less.. i personally feel they are being marketed wrong and i dont understand all the hype and then the aparent lack of support i have seen for them.... BUT its not my deal nor is it my design or is it my business. soooo

convert a cub to a serval.. hmm but the piston cost would be pretty high?? youd have to show offset of selling a cub cylinder and then replacing with a set of schervals for the cost differnce to be even feasable. plus you would have to then make it available to everyone because there probably isnt too many "builders" wanting to convert cubs to scherballs anyways? at least i havent seen much of a demand?? that 12k for a mold seems pretty pricy too!! that would take a LONG time to pay for the mold and then to start maknig money.. even if all 20 of the current owners of cubs would decided they needed to rip the entire engine apart and replace the pistons and reset up the entire motor, and then even if you charged 300 bucks for the pistons and then the 45+ bucks for the gaskets plus the 65+ and hour for the builder to redo the motor + the builder would want to add some onto the cost of parts also. even at that youd return 6000, and im not sure what the alluminum compound and the process of doing that and the cost of producing the pistons would be even after the mold was done... where is the cost savings/vs using whats already available..?? why not look into a differnt sport like rice burners or some other automotive or marine application that seems to have a high following and really needs a product to fix a current products failures?? im starting to consider some of the same things myself...