Take paint off pipes

fuzzypickles

Hey guys. I picked up a second Banshee not too long after my every day rider. My every day rider has Shearer in frame drag pipes, not too good for trails. The other one I picked up has T5's on it but they are painted black. How would I go about getting the paint off them? Could I use a wire wheel drill attachement? or would that take all the shine off too? Thanks!

Hey guys. I picked up a second Banshee not too long after my every day rider. My every day rider has Shearer in frame drag pipes, not too good for trails. The other one I picked up has T5's on it but they are painted black. How would I go about getting the paint off them? Could I use a wire wheel drill attachement? or would that take all the shine off too? Thanks!

What shine? Odds are, if they are painted black there is nothing under the paint but bare metal. It used to be the only way you could buy Toomey pipes was bare metal and you had to get them chromed locally. Then Toomey started chroming them themselves and selling them for about $200 more than the bare ones. So if yours are painted black, they are probably bare underneath, or the chrome went to shit and somebody covered it with paint.

What shine? Odds are, if they are painted black there is nothing under the paint but bare metal. It used to be the only way you could buy Toomey pipes was bare metal and you had to get them chromed locally. Then Toomey started chroming them themselves and selling them for about $200 more than the bare ones. So if yours are painted black, they are probably bare underneath, or the chrome went to shit and somebody covered it with paint.

Think I should just take the paint off with paint remover and repaint them?

laquer thinner takes paint off anything. I used to work at a body shop, it will take paint off paint. Such as if someone ran over paint on the road and it got on their car. We would use laquer thinner and then polish it. I've even painted parts on my driveway (newspaper underneath) and when I painted the driveway on accident I would dump laquer thinner on and it comes out instantly.

Better then laquer thinner, its airplane grade remover. And I think raw metal looks bad ass. Just have to clear or so it doesn't rust.

Yeah I got some of that stuff. I bought it a while ago to take 3 spray bomb paint jobs off a gas tank on a KM 100 I restored. Mighty powerful stuff! I'll be fixing up these Toomey T-5's tomorrow. Wire brush and aircraft remover.