Sand tires

NickisGod

ive been window shopping sand tires for a bit now, theres so many options, so many designs, and sadly not many reviews. i wish we had a tire section on the boards, but we dont. so far ive been looking at images on google and youtube and try to find similar bikes that ride similar to my style. come to find out most people drag race there banshee(obviously) and use straight +/-8 paddles.

well i like to drag race, but im not a drag racer. i like to jump the dunes, slide corners, and play in the idiot holes. from what ive some what read i want slightly slanted paddles. ive found 2 ive liked

10SedonaCycloneSandKLG.gif

innova-atv-sand-gear-paddle-tire.jpg

i like real boxy tires, idk y. please post some pics of your sand tires and any advise as too what set i should buy

Edited by NickisGod

ill pass on the fronts, right now its like 20 degrees out and my bike still has no motor. plus, these tires will be cf rims, as soon as i buy them lol. i have the 1200 to spend on them atm but i rather wait untill i see some sunshine before i go spending even more money on my already pricy bike.

a few questions i should of asked that i didnt before.

How many paddles do i want?

What type of rear paddles should i want? (straight,angled,scattered?)

What type of front paddles should i want? (smooth,knobed,or solid line)

What ply do i want?

im going to run 9s(rim size) in the back and 10s in the front. for those who dont know my bike, i got a 485 cheetah with EVERYTHING done to it on c12 108 octane

thanks in advanced

Nick, your not going to need to spend the big $$$ for the carbon wheels for sand. (Unless you just want the look.)

lThe carbon wheels are heavier than the light thickness aluminum wheels.

I'd also run the 8" rear rims. They offer better flotation, better footprint for dragging, and will be a little more forgiving when your drifting sideways and catch a rut.

If your not going to go with a tire straight blade paddle like an Extreme or a Hauler, I'd get the Scat-trac EDGE that was mentioned before. I think with your motor and your arm....in the places your going to really be riding, I'd pick the 21X12X8 - 9 paddle EGDE.

For fronts I like the 21X7X10 Mohawks or the classic Sand tires unlimited single rib fronts. (Cascade has a nice front tire too.)

Light weight DWT rims all around. :headbang:

You coming riding with us this summer at SL? :cheers:

I got the sand gears.. I just ride, no racing. They slide awesome, I can whip the bike around like no other. I don't care so much about the weight as I'm just playing.

Stock bike mostly and I run em up sand mountain in Utah. I can go anywhere I want, not the fastest...but that's a banshee with pipes only.

And they are durable, I bet they will never wear out.

fyi if you get the cyclones you will want the 22in ones which only come in 10 in rim the 20in ones are tiny more like a 18 in

also your still waiting for your motor?? I thought fast had it months ago, or was there some other issues?

also your still waiting for your motor?? I thought fast had it months ago, or was there some other issues?

yes still waiting lol. i talk to him this week, and he said hed probably be done this week and ship sometime next week. will see.

and yes john im coming to sl this year, ive never been so determined.

My favorite tire for all around riding is the EDGE. On my shee, i have a +2 arm and run a 21x12x8 8 paddle edge, and it works great. I have run haulers of various sizes and they are great depending on what im doing, but for all around on a relatively short bike i really like the edge.

IMHO I think you would be most happy with the Skat Trak edge. I have heard good things about the sand stars, but I don't have much experience with them...might be something to look into. If I was looking for a v-blade design I would stick with skat trak. I run haulers on all my stuff for general dune riding :D

When it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

I run haulers in the rear and the ITP Sand Stars double rib on the front. I have had Edges and the haulers work FAR bettter than any V paddle. With v paddles if you get your weight off center they will start pulling to one side, that is the way they are supposed to work. Straight paddles will slide a little more in the corners, but that fits my style. I do run 10 inch wheels all the way around which gives me some extra stability in a corner at the sacrifice if some traction and tire growth when dragging. I have had smoothys, single ribs and double ribs on the front. The smoothys wander around at high speed and will not cut when you are down in a tree hole. I thought the single ribs were great until I bought a set of the double ribs. With the double ribs there is no more going off the trail when making a sharp corner in a tree hole. 2 plies are all you need unless you can't stay away from sticks poking out of the ground. You do get what you pay for- the cheaper tires are heavier and usually don't bite as well. I would recomend using a red or black label wheel as even my wife is able to bend blue labels in the dunes.