Just rebuilt engine and bogging or rev limiter?

TN BANSHEE

Hello. I bought a banshee a couple of months ago in pieces and rebuilt engine. Never heard it run before i bought. Bored one size over, trinity 2 into 1 carb, toomey pipes, no air box lid. Engine starts after a couple of kicks and runs okay. It will not peak. It just hits a certain point and stays there. I read on here to cut the green/yellow wire to cdi box for parking brake and un plug tors box. Did that and no difference. I have jetted from a 160 main tIa 225 main. No difference where i move the jets to. 1 time it peaked on me with a 185 main in it and kind of scared me but when i let off the throttle it back fired and died. Then would not start for around 3 minutes. When it did start it ran only on 1 cylinder. I pushed it back in garage to start checking spark and then started it and it begain running on both cylinders but never agian would peak. I am not familiar with 2 strokes like i am with 4 strokes. This is my first 2 stroke so any help will be appriciated. I ordered a new coil and cdi box tonight to get me started in the right direction hopefully . Thanks

have you tried pulling the choke while riding to see if it helps? did you leakdown the motor to make sure you got it sealed up good? a clean bog is signs of being lean. if it's a rough bog and smoking a lot it maybe rich, but doesn't sound like it.

I never did a leak down. But I put new crank seals in. I live in Crossville, TN. The thing that gets me is it peaked one time and ran awesome when it did. I put jets back to exactly that again and nothing.

TN... gotta keep things simple.... Start with a compression test and then do a leakdown test on the motor. Then run down a list of EVERYTHING that is done to your bike and report back....

Well I think I am gettting somewhere now. I forgot it had adjustable timing. I started reading about adjustments on it and i had put it exactly how i took it off at -7. Read on here it should be +4 or +5. i adjusted it and started up awesome and sounds totally different. took it out for a spin and started peaking but could tell i had the wrong jets in it. ran around and peaked out 5 or 6 times just having a little fun with it and then started backfiring and died. No fireright now. it is just like the first time it peaked and then died. i am thinking it may be a coil or cdi getting hot now and loosing spark. maybe the timing will fix my peaking out after jetting it. I waited about 5 minutes after it died and fired it right up first kick.

Edited by TN BANSHEE