WSM piston

Joshx221

Hey guys new to the site just bought my first banshee, not running of course. Paid 400 knowing there were some issues I was told mainly clutch work and some missing parts. That being said upon dis-assembly of the motor I noticed the wsm pistons and the condition of the jugs and pitted head and figured i needed more or less a new top end. After doing some research I figured out what brand the pistons were and how cheap they were so i figured i'd post some pictures of the ones i took out. It might be hard to see, but both pistons are cracking at the upper end of the exhaust side skirts. I would like to note that I have no idea who worked on this motor nor there mechanical ability so the condition of the pistons really could be from anything I suppose. It does appear one piston is newer that the other, but both are cracking regardless. I think I'll steer clear of these. I'm looking to do a trail build on this motor so any advice would be great. The motor does have a Hot rods +4 crank. I have bought used stock bore jugs and plan on having them ported for the +4 of course probably trail port not sure though. Also has FMF fattys and power core 2's and flat slide 28mm mikuni's TM28 or something. Stock otherwise.

post-41802-0-22858600-1322878264_thumb.jpg

post-41802-0-22086300-1322878292_thumb.jpg

Hey guys new to the site just bought my first banshee, not running of course. Paid 400 knowing there were some issues I was told mainly clutch work and some missing parts. That being said upon dis-assembly of the motor I noticed the wsm pistons and the condition of the jugs and pitted head and figured i needed more or less a new top end. After doing some research I figured out what brand the pistons were and how cheap they were so i figured i'd post some pictures of the ones i took out. It might be hard to see, but both pistons are cracking at the upper end of the exhaust side skirts. I would like to note that I have no idea who worked on this motor nor there mechanical ability so the condition of the pistons really could be from anything I suppose. It does appear one piston is newer that the other, but both are cracking regardless. I think I'll steer clear of these. I'm looking to do a trail build on this motor so any advice would be great. The motor does have a Hot rods +4 crank. I have bought used stock bore jugs and plan on having them ported for the +4 of course probably trail port not sure though. Also has FMF fattys and power core 2's and flat slide 28mm mikuni's TM28 or something. Stock otherwise.

any piston will crack like that with too much clearance. wsm pistons are good but have to be setup properly. even the almighty wiseco will crack at the skirt like that.

yea looks like you caught it just in time, where in pa you from

Im up in bradford county, gillett to be exact. There was no catching this one though. The head has some pretty bad pitting and the left jug has a chunk missing out of the intake port. At least the crank is usablepost-41802-0-66419600-1322911185_thumb.jpg.

that is the auxilery boost port right on top of the intake ports right? if so you can probaby just clean it up so the ring don't snag the rings should be below that. I'm not sure if it will effect performance but I'm pretty sure it will run I have cylinders that I have that have been told it was fine to run?

sounds like it could have been someone who didn't quite understand compression and the need for higher octane fuel. That is why your head is pitted....its had deto....more than likely cause someone ran either shit fuel through it or someone had some compression raising mods before and didn't want to pay for better fuel....