Let's talk headlights

zach45

I wanna do Handel bar mounted after market lights. But here nothing but bad things about the quality of the trail tecks. What other options are there. And right now I'm not willing to do a dc conversion

Zach

I have the trailtechs on the bars of both my Banshees and they worked great over Thanksgiving at the dunes. One flood, one spot and I can see just fine.

The stock lights are long gone but recommend Tusk bulbs if you ever run stockers again.

I don't know of any other decent, AKA not Walmart, bar mount options that you can run without the conversion.

I used a lazer star mount because i liked the lights layed down sideways. I was worried that with them sticking up like the pics above they would just break off the first time i dumped the bike. Only issue is that lazer star and trail tech use different threads on their stud mount lights. I just modifed the trail tech mounts to work.

I wasnt refering to your bike in my comment. I was looking at the bike with the lights on the bars. Nothing wrong at all with the way its done, just figured one roll over and they are wasted. Mine have survived a couple as they are completely below the bars. As far as the walmart lights go, im glad they have worked for you, however, i acquired a bike that came with a set and one of them fell apart within 200 yards of taking off for the first time. banghead

As far as the other lights go i could be wrong but i think matt was working on some LED lights, which would require a floated ground and battery conversion. That is the next move for me. I plan on running a small LED light bar along with 2 HIDs to reach out further. However i believe the OP said he is not interested in that route right now.

The other thing to consider is a helmet light. I am going to grab one up i think. I have seen the trail tech HID but i think snopsynski made up some HID ones. I think that might be a great way to go, no matter where you are lookin you have light. No such thing as too much light

Just saw this thread.

RRL is pretty much right. I have currently have two different lights in various stages of prototyping and testing. Both are 10w, 1000 Lumen LED's and use different style optics. They will be "generally" the same shape and style as Trail Techs. The key to LED's is all in the optics. Both lights will use a glass lens, rather than the garbage plastic that is currently on the market, so no hazing or fading of the lens. That has been the most difficult, costly, and time consuming part of this process. My LED's are the brightest available; Almost exactly 3x as bright as a 35w Halogen bulb (Stock Lights).

I was just in contact with an electronics manufacturer the week before my surgery about building me a driver to be used with AC current. It's not 100% yet, but it looks like it's something I'll be able to do cost effectively. My goal is to have these tested, and off to UL by mid January. Generally it takes UL about 3-4 weeks for their rating, then it's into production. My light bars took about 19 days for the UL rating.

They will not be "cheap", by any means, but they WILL be cheaper, brighter, and better looking than competitive lights. The LED world has been something I have been dabbling in for quite some time, and this is something that I felt was an absolute necessity in not only the Banshee world, but the ATV industry all together. With my lights only drawing 10 watts, and under .8 amps of power, you have the ability to run 7 of them SAFELY on the STOCK stator. That's 7000 lumens of visible light. For comparison, two stock lights put out roughly 700 lumens. 10x the light, for the same amount of power.

I'll keep everyone posted, but as for now, I am not going to be posting any pictures until all testing, UL ratings, etc have been completed.

• 3 weeks later...