Backfiring

Glamis321

Well, swapped out my plug caps for brand new ones, and no change. Although with the new caps installed, my secondary reads over 15,000 ohms going from plug cap to plug cap. Is this normal? The manual says no more than 7,100, and my coil reads 6000 if i go straight from the wires with the caps removed.

I think I found my problem. One of the stator wires was rubbing against the flywheel and has just about rubbed through the wire. I'll replace the wire tomorrow and see if that works

If your stator wire was rubbing against the flywheel, how did you ohm it out? Did you check it with the flywheel on or off?

It's definitely not going to run with the charging coil shorted to ground. It ran for a little bit until the flywheel rubbed through the insulation and shorted the red wire to ground. When you ohmed it, you probably didn't ohm it from the charging coil to ground. Fix the red wire and I bet it fires right up.