K&N filter with stock air box....

If anyone has added the single K&N filter to the air box they probably have same delima.... The box lid holds the fitler in place and it is a bitch to line up. I have noticed the the foam pad that seals the fitler to the box(going in carb. direction) isnt always properly sealed allowing dirt to bypass the filter.....So what I did was

I removed the stock fitler mount replaced the foam and bolted that sucker in permanetly..the K&N filter still clamps on the mount allowing it to be removed, cleaned and replaced with out the hassle.. This also allows the removal of the box lid for more air. In wet muddy situations put the lid back on.. I messed up and had to shave the underside of the lid so it would fit around the bolts, this wouldn't be necasary if I had the bolts lowered a bit..Use gasket sealer around the bolts for that extra protection.

I got pics if needed cant attach here...(i think I cant)

yeh i did the same exact thing to my friends bike while it was at my house i dont think i would ever buy a 90 dollar air filter holder when it took like 10 minutes at the very most to do and was so worth it then he was able to run no lid and it only cost him the cost of jets and not close to a hundred bux. good deal in my opinion.

I'm not sure i follow you here. That doesnt look like a stock mount to me. Was that in there when you bought it, just not bolted in. Correct me if im wrong but the stock filter holder dealio is just a slot not a flange of any kind like you have there. Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just a little confused!

I'm not sure i follow you here.  That doesnt look like a stock mount to me.  Was that in there when you bought it, just not bolted in.  Correct me if im wrong but the stock filter holder dealio is just a slot not a flange of any kind like you have there.  Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, just a little confused!

yes the stock filter has a cone shaped plastic thingy, with you buy the K&N single filter it tells you to cut the coned end off leaving just the flat part that slides into the groove. It can be difficult at times aligning it into the slot, I noticed one day that it wasn't seeling properly at the carb. side.

So I bolted it in permanetly.. The K&N can still be removed via the hose clamp... Still confusing? No offense takin..

ok now I gotcha i never even looked at the stock filter that close i guess. I bought the aluminum adapter with the clamp on k&n and tossed the original filter like a week after buying my banshee. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• 3 weeks later...