can i realy be this off in jetting?!?!

blubyyou

Mods in my signature. I'm running 148 mains, 48 pilots, CEL needle in 2nd from top clip, 1.5 turns out on mixture screw. I thought my chops looked decent but I feel like its lazy getting into the power band...no bottom. It seems to struggle getting into the power band 4-6 gears. Fan the clutch a little and it will hit and pull great. I went for a ride last week and pulled my plugs tonight...they're dark black and oily. I run 927 mixed at 40:1 on 93 pump gas at around 2400 ft. When I rode my friends fmf piped banshee with V-force reeds it had instant response. I know I am going to lose some bottom with my port put figured it would be just as responsive!? What am I missing or doing wrong? I've never read of anyone running much smaller main jets. It seems like I'm off about 3 or 4 main jet sizes lol. Granted I did ride it a little lazy the last 15 minutes but ran it hard the entire time other than that. What gives? I just want this thing to pull all the way through every gear without the laziness I'm having. With my other stock banshee I always had the nice golden brown plugs. Also I noticed it smokes a little excessive. It idles great and revs nice and crisp. It's gotta be in the mains or needle...maybe both idk. I'm stumped and need some help. Sorry for the lengthy post.

My chops back a few months ago didn't look too bad. Kevin at HJR said they looked good just maybe slightly fat. Hell it looks like I'm riding a diesel banshee by looking at the plugs. I guess I could go down a couple sizes and see. It's very difficult to get a 6th gear pull where I'm at in a sub division and I'm extremely limited on a place where I can pin it wot. It sucks! I have to drive 45 minutes just to do a plug chop. They're black from top to bottom. Tell me if I'm assuming wrong..lazy hitting the power band in 4-6 gears, little bit lacking on bottom end (could just be the port work), excessive smoking compared to other banshees...I gotta be way fat on my mains!? I just never heard of anyone running 140-145 mains on this setup. Most seem to be in the 150-155 range.

plug chops only get you so far really. if the plugs are rich and oily and at wot throttle it struggles to build rpms. drop a main and make another run. still struggles and the plugs are black drop the main again until it pulls clean. then work on your needle and midrange. dont change a bunch of stuff at once. get your WOT crisp and work down from there.

You are on the right track just listen to what the engine wants.

edit: just saw your latest post, try going WOT low in the rpms and make it drag itself onto the pipe. if it spits or burbles, your rich.

When I did my chop I rolled out in 2nd, went into 3rd and held it through 4,5,6. Got a decent smoke ring on new plugs. My plugs are good looking until I ride on them for a while...like a couple of hours or so. It really doesn't cough, burble, or anything...it just gets flat feeling as it gets ready to get on the pipe in 4-6 gear. 1-3 it is not SUPER responsive at low to mid (compared to my friends piped shee) but gets into the power band relatively good. I guess I'm gonna be the 1st person to require running 140 mains or so lol.

When I did my chop I rolled out in 2nd, went into 3rd and held it through 4,5,6. Got a decent smoke ring on new plugs. My plugs are good looking until I ride on them for a while...like a couple of hours or so. It really doesn't cough, burble, or anything...it just gets flat feeling as it gets ready to get on the pipe in 4-6 gear. 1-3 it is not SUPER responsive at low to mid (compared to my friends piped shee) but gets into the power band relatively good. I guess I'm gonna be the 1st person to require running 140 mains or so lol.

i run 140 mains with a dune port and r2's on my 28pwks and it could stand to drop another main.

Well a big thanks to both of you guys. I'm going to drop two main sizes and see how it does when I get a chance to take it back out again. I don't think one size down is going to clean up the plugs that much lol. I will report back when I get it back out with new jetting. Thanks again

Well a big thanks to both of you guys. I'm going to drop two main sizes and see how it does when I get a chance to take it back out again. I don't think one size down is going to clean up the plugs that much lol. I will report back when I get it back out with new jetting. Thanks again

Also consider dropping the needle one more notch. That's what it took to get my mid range transition from mid to hi rpm to run right.

LS3 are you saying drop it back to the middle clip or raise it to the very top clip? I had it in the middle clip then raised it up one position to lean it out. It may have helped a little but I really didn't see a drastic improvement to be honest.

Raise the clip to lower the needle and lean it a bit. Thats what I meant. Like others said, first drop the mains a bit, then try the needle a notch. One step at a time.

What are your plugs gapped at? If i were you i would drop 2 mains and 2 pilots. If it Runs the same, DRop another 2. your wasting your time doing 1 size at a time. You wont notice a huge difference between 1 size. Do 2 sizes at a time. If their as black as you say they are. i wouldn't be scared to do even 3 sizes the first time.

Alllso i will tell you, my experience. I was chasing jetting. and happened to be My plug boots were worn out. When i would rev the machine up in Neutral it would sound amazing and crisp. Once i put a load on it ( going through the gear) It would drop a cylinder and the thing was a LAzy pile of crap. That could be your problem. your issue sounds alot like what i had. too just my .02!

Edited by EvilBanshee

What are you plugs gapped at? If i were you i would drop 2 mains and 2 pilots. If it Runs the same, DRop another 2. your wasting your time doing 1 size at a time. You wont notice a huge difference between 1 size. Do 2 sizes at a time. If their as black black as you say they are. i wouldn't be scared to do even 3 sizes the first time.

Half right. While making a bigger change can get you pointed in the right direction, you dont change 2 things at once. Where is the logic in changing the pilot for something that is clearly outside of its control.

Half right. While making a bigger change can get you pointed in the right direction, you dont change 2 things at once. Where is the logic in changing the pilot for something that is clearly outside of its control.

Adjusting your pilot will branch onto your main jetting still. I should have been more spefic. FRom what i see. His pilot of rich to begin with. He should be 40-45, Not 48. So put it to 45. Then just play with the main's 2 sizes at a time. Again though. Could be dropping a cylinder. Check those Boots!!

This thread has been amazingly informative to me! I've got some smaller pilots, and I believe a size or two smaller mains at home. I'm going to get some NGK spark plug boots while I'm at it too. I believe the part# was on a thread a few days ago. Drop a couple main sizes and see what happens. I wish I was lucky enough to live in a rural area like I used to live so I could get some nice plug chops by zipping down the hard road real quick for tuning.

jetting is not constant if your "chops looked fine a few months ago i'm sure the temps outside have changed and unless your mixing fresh gas every trip you may be even fighting bad fuel issues..

learn how to jet from what the motor wants not just numbers. get the throttle response nice and the idle set perfect THEN go play with the mains. make absolute sure yoru synch and throttle cable pull is good and your filters are clean clean clean if you have an outerware clean it again if you cannto see light right through it its dirty. this is why i al;most never recomend certain jets. most all stock cylinder banshee's with kehiens i have jetted are in the 38-50 pilot range adn 140-165 main range.