front end flops and locks to one side when i pull it backwards?

clintonior

New to me 89 Banshee's just traded a 98 Kx125 for this seemingly nice 89 Banshee. It has a full FMF fatty exhaust no air box lid and an adjustable timing plate @ +4 advance. I haven't looked at the reeds I think they are Boyseen as there is the sticker on it. when I got the Shee it had stock jets and the needle was in the 6th position found out that was just so it would start. Shee has the tors removed but the carb tops don't thread on their to big so I need two new tops. Shee now has 320 mains 30 pilot and 3rd clip position 1.5 turns out. The Shee runs like an ox now. but the bushings are hammered and when i pull it backwards the wheels flopp over and lightly lock making it tough to move the handle bars to straighten Shee out, but Shee does it is just stiff where it locks over. I'm setting the suspension back to stock as it was set low rider style with everything cranked down low. not a smooth ride yet. what will I need to do to correct all this? bushings sure tie rods? ball joints?

Edited by clintonior

New to me 89 Banshee's just traded a 98 Kx125 for this seemingly nice 89 Banshee. It has a full FMF fatty exhaust no air box lid and an adjustable timing plate @ +4 advance. I haven't looked at the reeds I think they are Boyseen as there is the sticker on it. when I got the Shee it had stock jets and the needle was in the 6th position found out that was just so it would start. Shee has the tors removed but the carb tops don't thread on their to big so I need two new tops. Shee now has 320 mains 30 pilot and 3rd clip position 1.5 turns out. The Shee runs like an ox now. but the bushings are hammered and when i pull it backwards the wheels flopp over and lightly lock making it tough to move the handle bars to straighten Shee out, but Shee does it is just stiff where it locks over. I'm setting the suspension back to stock as it was set low rider style with everything cranked down low. not a smooth ride yet. what will I need to do to correct all this? bushings sure tie rods? ball joints?

Is it steering lock you are talking of? Were it kicks past and locks into place down by the spindle arm.

Is it steering lock you are talking of? Were it kicks past and locks into place down by the spindle arm.

well? this has J arms and im unfimilar with steering locks on this. i have a feeling its cause the bushings have a lot of play and that the tie rods are set longer than they should be or mabye its cause the bushings have extra play but if i pull it back ward the wheels lay right over all the way over so pulling it back is a Bi@tch then the bar is forcing it straight dosent feel right,?

there is a steering stop on the bottom of the stem.. alot of times they get bent and no longer stops the stem.. check that out and make sure the tabs on the stem are contacting the stops. Its right at the base of the stem.

ok I'll check an post back. I checked out that '90 of yours mine could be a '90 need to run the serial # where is it on the frame? I have J arms also I see yours are 2 over very nice.

Edited by clintonior

The stops are at the bottom of the steering stem @ the lower bearing on the frame. Just like Fouledout421 said they get bent forward. Just need to straighten it back up & you should be good to go. Also you will have to replace any worn parts like bushing & ball joint that will help out a lot.

WFO

• 4 weeks later...

there is a steering stop on the bottom of the stem.. alot of times they get bent and no longer stops the stem.. check that out and make sure the tabs on the stem are contacting the stops. Its right at the base of the stem.

People sometimes trim off alittle of the stop so you can turn harder. Not realizing it will cause this problem until it's too late.

trim some off the stop?? who the hell came up with that bullshit...

i tap it back in place weld a bead on both sides to make it a lil harder. then make a small plate and weld that into it so it wont flop forward again.

the only adjustment is the toe in you need about 1/8" toe in . if your not sure what that is please buy a manual it will help you a whole bunch.