Top End Rebuild/Removing Cylinder Jug Tips

hurst1979olds

Hi, I posted a week ago or so about a problem I was having with my banshee. It is box stock never been touched. I did a compression check on it and it has 100psi in both cylinders. The top end has never been done before on it. I got the exhaust, carburetors, reeds, etc. already off. I was going to take the jugs out but I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on this. Whats an easy way to drain the antifreeze? Should I remove the gas tank to help make some more room? When re assembling what are the torque specs for the jugs to the case, and the head to the jugs? And anything else you might think I should know. Thanks in advance

i would get a clymers manual.. its not expensive and worth the money.

Unbolt the nuts evently at first you will probably want to take the gas tank off to give you some room to work. makes it easier and its only 4 screws holding it so not a big job.

then I use a rubber mallet to unseal them from the gasket. *only hit them front and back lightly* dont hit them by the sides.

To drain the coolent theres 2 screws on the side walls of the jugs... take those out to drain the cylinders.

Thanks for the advice. I was just going to pop a hose off. Now Ill just take the screws out before taking the hose off. How much coolant will spill out onto the floor after I drain and remove the jugs. Just dont want any suprises.

well, I got the jugs removed. The pistons and jugs look good. No scuffing, still has a really nice crosshatch. Looks like I'll be buying a set of rings and slapping it back together. I'll also be buying a carb rebuild kit. Any suggestions on rings and gaskets, and carb rebuild kit?

My banshee sat since 2007. I rode it like 3 times since then and started a handful of times. I took the carbs apart and cleaned them all out. What it was doing is it wont start unless you use eather. But then runs decent after that. Every once in a while youll hear like a gush of air out the exhaust. Once I turned it off it wouldnt start again. I did a compression check and thats when I found out i had low compression. I looked at the reeds and they seem fine. No cracks or splits.

I just want to be riding this thing again.