2003 Banshee Running Issues

I have a 2003 Banshee. I bought it in 2006 with low hours, never rebuilt. To put it in perspective i have all original tires, original grips(hardly worn), and little wear on frame from from my legs. in the past couple year i hardly rode it. I went to start it in the spring and no luck. I rebuilt the carbs, put fresh gas in it and still nothing. I can get it to start on eather(which I hate doing). Then when i gas it, it will make like a noise like a loud gush of air out the right side exhaust pipe. The left side smokes alot. It will bog alittle when hitting the gas then once it sees full throttle it runs like a raped date. Even driving at full throttle it feels good. But once I shut it off it wont start again without eather. So i cleaned out the carbs again and its still doing the same thing. Today i did a compression check and bother cylinders are at 100psi. Is this normal? Should i buy a carb rebuild kit? what should i check, what is your advice? thanks in advance.

First, welcome to BHQ. I would say your in dire need of a top-end rebuild. If it is a 2003, and you bought it in 06' and it hasn't been touched, yeah I would say it's time! lol Rebuilding the carbs prolly wouldn't hurt. I think your having to start it on eather because you don't have enough compression in the cylinders to light off the fuel once the ignition hits. 100 isn't just plain terrible but as a reference stock compression should be somewhere around 120-130ish.

I could go on and on about this but putting it simple, go get ur top-end rebuilt. Check your reeds while you have it apart. Make sure they aren't cracked or broken. Once you get it put back together make DAMN sure you get your carbs synced properly. Go look at the site sponsors page and pick a builder. I've heard nothing but good things about all of them and I have personally dealt with F.A.S.T. and they are bad ass. Let us know what you decide.

Edited by FullThrottle_06'

First, welcome to BHQ. I would say your in dire need of a top-end rebuild. If it is a 2003, and you bought it in 06' and it hasn't been touched, yeah I would say it's time! lol Rebuilding the carbs prolly wouldn't hurt. I think your having to start it on eather because you don't have enough compression in the cylinders to light off the fuel once the ignition hits. 100 isn't just plain terrible but as a reference stock compression should be somewhere around 120-130ish.

I could go on and on about this but putting it simple, go get ur top-end rebuilt. Check your reeds while you have it apart. Make sure they aren't cracked or broken. Once you get it put back together make DAMN sure you get your carbs synced properly. Go look at the site sponsors page and pick a builder. I've heard nothing but good things about all of them and I have personally dealt with F.A.S.T. and they are bad ass. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for the welcome. I kind of figured it was the top end. Since I never rebuilt it and to my knowlegde it has never been. Now do you think I can get away with just putting a set of rings in it or do I need new pistons and a bore. I would like to just get it running and driving again. If the cylinder wall still looks good and the pistons look good can I just slap rings on it. I havent really riden the banshee since 2009 and that was for just a week or 2. Before that the last time I rode it was the summer of 2006. Carbs have been rebuilt and they played very little in the running of it. It does run somewhat better but definetally wont start without eather. Thanks for the advice.