Question from newbie re: exhaust and chain/sprocket

jwhitt

Hey all,

I have a completely stock `97 Banshee that I only use for a week or 2 each summer on a family get a way in the Pismo Dunes. Other than general maintenance I have done nothing else to the bike. During my last trip I noticed it is time to replace the rear sprocket and chain. I also want to replace the exhaust. I`m 46 and only a recreational rider these days with my kids occasionally taking the bike out for a spin or 2 during our stay. Other than that, my wife and I just have fun shooting through the bowls and such. I`ve noticed there are so many aftermarket parts for every single part of the bike that now I`m thoroughly confused. Any reccomendations for the above items I mentioned? Sorry if I sound so out of touch as I must be getting old, lol. Thanks for any input. JW

edited to add: This bike only rides in the sand dunes, nothing crazy but enjoy doing bowls and hill climbs. Stock tires, no paddles.

Edited by jwhitt

well some paddles will make a huge difference on there! I would look for some hauler 7 or 8 paddles, as for the sprocket go to rockymountain atv and get one that is the same size.

a good pipe for a stock motor is toomey t5s, they give you way more power over stock and it is a good mid-mid/top pipe but not too much. good luck!

X2 with Josh, get on Rockymountain atv and look for a chain and sprockets. As for a chain brand a prefer and personally run a Regina chain. Primary Drive brand sprockets are nice, and not too expensive.

Exhaust wise for good all around riding I would get Pro Circuit pipes. They have great low end power and will pull hard all the way to full throttle. Everyone has there own opinion on exhaust, and any aftermarket exhaust is going to be a huge improvement over stock. Just remember to rejet after you change the exhaust...more air flow, the bike will need larger jets for more fuel.

Thanks alot for all the tips. Exactly what I needed.

Tried paddles 2 years ago but wife didn`t like the rougher ride and enjoys the smoother powslides in sand with the stock tires. But thanks again for the direction!

Does anyone know how the ProWedges do on the dune sand? In my opinion it´s not as rough to ride as a normal paddle tire, but might do better than a regular knoppys.

If your motor is 100% stock, you can consider also Toomey TR6 pipes. How about Paul Turner Mids or High-revs? PT´s will not burn your legs. (that´s what they say)

But Toomey T5 and ProCircuit are very good pipe, so you can´t go wrong with them.

Only pipe I have ever tested are stock and T5´s.