Just purchased this banshee - Video inside with questions

Just wondering. If I had that banshee, I would:

1. Drain the existing gas... the bike obviously hasn't had much luv, so there is no reason to not assume that gas is old and stale as hell.

2. Pull the carbs, and clean them carefully, and one at a time. Check the jets and note what size they are. They are probably the ones that come with the toomey perfect jet kit.

3. Check your intake manifold boots for cracking. Go over the whole engine while you are at it, looking for things that don't look right.

4. Do a compression test.

5. Put the fresh 93 octane at about 36-40:1 in the tank.

5. Put fresh, correct gap spark plugs in.

6. Sync the carbs.

Clean and lube and WD 40 everything on the bike while you are at it.

Consider: When you are on the line with Toomey for the repack kit and the new muffler C Clips, maybe consider ordering new mid pipes (or if your on a budget sand and high temp rattle can those ugly suckers?

Report back here... congrats, you just saved a Banshee from the IPO who didn't know how to luv/care for an awesome machine! Enjoy, and you can get lots of advise from some smart Banshee owners here.

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on doing a lot of what you said. I tried getting the lower air box off yesterday but it seems there are some screws or bolts connected to the inner frame that are really hard to get to. I put grease in all the fittings. Took alot of pumps, obviously hadn't been done in a long time. Getting new BR8ES plugs for it tonight. Cleaned the twin air filter really good too. I definitely want to clean up the exhaust. It looks like a lot of that junk and rust will come off with a wire brush. I am also considering ripping everything apart to sand down and paint the frame. I can't stand how dirty this thing looks for being a 2001 model.

I will pull the carbs tonight 1 at a time. How do I tell what size jets they have on them? I'm not too familiar with 2 strokes so I appreciate the advice.

Thanks Tim.

I also tightened tons of loose bolts and screws on this thing. Clutch lever was bent/loose. Clutch shifter was rattling because it was loose. The kick starter screw is stripped so I can't get it off to tighten, it rattles alot but I heard that's common. I'd still like it fixed.

The chain on this thing appears to be tightened fully but it looks very loose. Do most guys run with some slack on the chains? This thing could probably come off if I lifted it sideways on the back sprocket, it's that loose! Doesn't seem normal to me....

No I meant crank oil I'm not confused I think you are. There is only one place to put oil correct. Aside from the premix I mean. If he has a bad oil seal he would be pulling oil into his cylinder this is NOT supposed to happen

No bud.i am right.im not sure if u are aware that ur premix that u put in ur gas tank is what lubricates your crank.transmission oil does not.so yes,crank oil/fuel is what goes in ur cyls. too.but u are correct in saying that a bad crank seal will suck in transmission oil which wont fire too well.but cylinders and crank are completely sealed from transmission.tommy,run just regular b8es plugs and not resistor plugs.the r stands for resistor.u can do a leakdown test if u suspect trans oil being sucked in thru bad crank seal.

No bud.i am right.im not sure if u are aware that ur premix that u put in ur gas tank is what lubricates your crank.transmission oil does not.so yes,crank oil/fuel is what goes in ur cyls. too.but u are correct in saying that a bad crank seal will suck in transmission oil which wont fire too well.but cylinders and crank are completely sealed from transmission.tommy,run just regular b8es plugs and not resistor plugs.the r stands for resistor.u can do a leakdown test if u suspect trans oil being sucked in thru bad crank seal.

What is the difference between br8es and b8es?. I've always ran br8es or br9es like book says to. Well bud if you take your jugs off and look at your crank wile you are moving the rods up and down you will see the crank oil lubing it up. I don't think your 100% on this

What is the difference between br8es and b8es?. I've always ran br8es or br9es like book says to. Well bud if you take your jugs off and look at your crank wile you are moving the rods up and down you will see the crank oil lubing it up. I don't think your 100% on this

Im not getting shitty so dont get shitty with me please.the r means resistor like i stated.ive always had plugs foul quicker that were resistor plugs thats y i dont run them.im sure someone will chime in and tell u what the tech info is.im not gonna jack this guys thread either but i am 100% ask somebody else.if u pull the jugs there is gonna be oil/fuel mixture in there.its not gonna evaporate completely cuz therey oil.dry ur crank out completely and spin it and see if it gets oil.the crank and cyls. have to be completely sealed.the oil that lubes ur crank comes from the gastank,that goes thru the carb,thru the reeds into the crankcase.then it gets sucked up thru the ports into jugs to fire.look at how the banshee engine is built and tell me how im wrong.its obvious if u look at a breakdown and understand how two stroke engine works.dirtbikes are the same way..ask somebody else if u dont believe me and please,to not juck this thread p.m. me if ur have a question.thanks.

Im not getting shitty so dont get shitty with me please.the r means resistor like i stated.ive always had plugs foul quicker that were resistor plugs thats y i dont run them.im sure someone will chime in and tell u what the tech info is.im not gonna jack this guys thread either but i am 100% ask somebody else.if u pull the jugs there is gonna be oil/fuel mixture in there.its not gonna evaporate completely cuz therey oil.dry ur crank out completely and spin it and see if it gets oil.the crank and cyls. have to be completely sealed.the oil that lubes ur crank comes from the gastank,that goes thru the carb,thru the reeds into the crankcase.then it gets sucked up thru the ports into jugs to fire.look at how the banshee engine is built and tell me how im wrong.its obvious if u look at a breakdown and understand how two stroke engine works.dirtbikes are the same way..ask somebody else if u dont believe me and please,to not juck this thread p.m. me if ur have a question.thanks.

I asked you what the differnce between br8es and b8es not being shitty being serious. why would you reccomend something to someone if you dont know what it is. ive been around 2 strokes the majority of my 30 years. what i was saying is that the 10-40 or whatever you put in your bottom case should not be in the cylinders dude. im not wrong, what i thought you were saying is that it should. which was my misunderstanding.

I asked you what the differnce between br8es and b8es not being shitty being serious. why would you reccomend something to someone if you dont know what it is. ive been around 2 strokes the majority of my 30 years. what i was saying is that the 10-40 or whatever you put in your bottom case should not be in the cylinders dude. im not wrong, what i thought you were saying is that it should. which was my misunderstanding.

yes u are correct.the 10-40 or whatever should not be in the cylinders.thats what i said too.there must be a little confusion in wording here so lets agree to disagree.like benny said there is no "crank" oil besides the premix and u know that it was just stated wrong.i said i dont run resistor plugs because they seem to foul much quicker than non resistor plugs,and that i dont know what the reasoning is behind running resistors to non resistors and that hopefully someone with the tech info will chime in.ive read alot of posts where others also recommend non resistor plugs.i can only go by my experiences in not eunning resistor plugs.cam where u at.school us on resistor plugs lol..

Resistor plugs were made to not interfere with radio frequencies. Thats what i was told

Yeah for a car but theres something to it on these bikes.id lile to know myself.tom what did u figure out?u gonna repack and leave it or what.u should do a leakdown to be sure.put ur mind at ease u know.

Tom what did u figure out?u gonna repack and leave it or what.u should do a leakdown to be sure.put ur mind at ease u know.

Okay. Yesterday I pulled off the chain to remove a link, no problems. Just have to put it back on adjust the rear bolts. Pulled the kick starter off by the bolt because the screw part was stripped off. I have it soaking in PB blaster as we speak. Hoping to get rid of that stupid rattle, any suggestions?

I then pulled the plugs to look at them. Here's how they looked....

IMG_0443.jpg

Lastly, I took the rings out of the back of the exhaust. The left side had about 3/4 of the packing. It looks like some burnt up/off tho... The right side had nothing in it besides the baffled pipe which was just rattling in there because it wasn't lined up with the tip. I wonder if that was causing the smoke? Not sure why it would have no packing in it!?

Ordered the silencer repack kit from Toomey so hopefully it's here by Friday so I can try to ride this weekend. Here's a picture of exactly what was pulled out of the silencers on my T5 exhaust...

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

I synced the carbs and played with the dials on it. Cleaned up the exhaust some, changed spark plugs, changed trans oil, put new inners on the kick starter, took a link out of chain, and did some other little small stuff. Oh and put some new packing in the silencers. BIG difference. Sounds, drives, and shifts much better now. It wasn't bad before but felt a little off :) Here's a video of start up, idle, and rev.

JUST REALIZED I SPELT "TOOMEY" WRONG. haha oops. My name is Tommy so I'm used to typing it out that way. LOL

Banshee with t5 pipes after repacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fbka34cmugE&feature=channel_video_title

Edited by Tommilicious