cpi inframes

So currently I have a pretty stock 06. Cpi inframes, k&n on proflow plate and no air box lid. Tors removed, running a 270 main, and needle 1 clip towards blunt from middle. Skid plates and 13 tooth front sprocket, but that's all mods.

I 80% of the time dune, occasionally take it camping and ride big roads, and rarely do trail riding.

Question is, should I try to get some pt mids instead? I like the cpi, but I hardly ever get over 4th gear, usually dune in 2nd and 3rd. So I'm just wondering if the pt mids would be a better all around pipe? I do plan on getting port when top end needs rebuild. But I think I got a while.

So currently I have a pretty stock 06. Cpi inframes, k&n on proflow plate and no air box lid. Tors removed, running a 270 main, and needle 1 clip towards blunt from middle. Skid plates and 13 tooth front sprocket, but that's all mods.

I 80% of the time dune, occasionally take it camping and ride big roads, and rarely do trail riding.

Question is, should I try to get some pt mids instead? I like the cpi, but I hardly ever get over 4th gear, usually dune in 2nd and 3rd. So I'm just wondering if the pt mids would be a better all around pipe? I do plan on getting port when top end needs rebuild. But I think I got a while.

I wouldn't do a PT mid.. Your jumping from one end to the other. if you like the PT pipe.. a good choice would be the PT high-rev. they actually have a pretty solid midrange for a "top end" pipe.

Everyone and ther granddad is looking for CPIs. You won't have a problem selling them. I had T5s on my setup and they are a great pipe for what it sounds like you do. CPI is not a low mid pipe so I wouldnt do a "low end" port for those pipes. I always said if you want low end, buy a 4stroke. lol.

What makes you want something different, just because you dune in 2-3 gears? Do you not like how the bike runs with them on?

I would keep the CPI's IMO.

I do like how it runs. Just seems like a waste to have so many gears and not use them... I don't know tho. I did already trim my fenders for the cpi to fit.....

I'll keep em, and just have the jugs ported to match em.

Edited by Banshee Chad

your only ever going to use those gears, as sprocket, tyre and primary gears dictate speed. the question is, do you want to lose some top end power (rpm) performance in those gears, changing pipes ?

if your happy with how the bike pulls, leave it. if you want more bottom end power (rpm) go different pipes.

I do like how it runs. Just seems like a waste to have so many gears and not use them... I don't know tho. I did already trim my fenders for the cpi to fit.....

I'll keep em, and just have the jugs ported to match em.

I noticed above you said you run a 13 tooth front, I put a 13 front on mine and hated it. Just general duning I felt like I was constantly having to shift with that low of gearing. I went back to stock and its alot better. The longer gears just feel so much better in the dunes we have here. I've even considered gearing up even more that what I run now. Just something to think about.

By the way, we need to ride before the summer is over. :headbang:

I noticed above you said you run a 13 tooth front, I put a 13 front on mine and hated it. Just general duning I felt like I was constantly having to shift with that low of gearing. I went back to stock and its alot better. The longer gears just feel so much better in the dunes we have here. I've even considered gearing up even more that what I run now. Just something to think about.

By the way, we need to ride before the summer is over. :headbang:

Ya, I put the 13 on there before I got the pipes, when it was completely stock. I'll try switching back.

For sure we need to, I'm jonesing big time..

Alright. I'll just leave it. It's runs good and everything, goes where I want. Just was wondering about the 2 unused gears.

If I'm just cruising in some of our smaller dunes here I'm always between 2nd and 3rd too. On the backside is when its nice to open it up and feel some 4th and 5th gear pulls. :headbang:

Alright. I'll just leave it. It's runs good and everything, goes where I want. Just was wondering about the 2 unused gears.

lol."unused gears"...if u like to shift all the time and want to use them run like an 12/45 gearing.its ok if u dont use them,they wont go bad lol.just messin bro.like ddu said,if u like where the power starts and stops,keep em.but once u go to a pipe that builds power quicker,it will also sign off quicker so keep that in mind and make sure its what u want esp. when u port it,cuz its ported to ur pipes and the powerband u want.