Need help diagnosing my problem.

alright. I was up in northern michigan ridin the trails this weekend, first real ride with the shee of the year and since my upgrades. rode it fine for a few hours, pulled nice too. spit out a spark plug on one of the trails (must not have tightened it enough) put it back in and got back to the cabin with no problems other than shootin the plug out again when i got there. I have been riding with the chain loose for a while so we take a link out and my buddy moves the kickstart and it doesnt pop back up. we figure its just something wrong with the arm and pullstart the banshee behind his quad. starts right up and get it back to the cabin and right as i get back i hear a pop and it stops running. tear the thing apart and find metal chunks in the side case. from what we could tell a screw behind the clutch basket backed itself out and shattered the gear on the back of the basket? we thought all this gear did was turn it over from the kickstart so we tossed it back together and tried pullstarting it again but nothing happens.

the main question i have is does this gear need to be there to run and thats the problem or is it just has to do with the kickstart and something else broke internally? what are some things i should try and will i need to split the case and check things out? basically, should i be looking into new gears/case? I really want to get this thing fixed to get back out there.

226080_10150280823039271_786409270_7379779_2316136_n.jpg

well, that should only mesh with the kicker idler gear, so pull-starting and running should not be effected. i take it the clutch gear came off an aftermarket basket? well, i would make sure you put it back together right, and that you adjusted the clutch properly. back the cable off, and get your 1/4-1/8" play in the lever on the case, and that you lined the dot up on the basket with one of the arrows on the pressure plate. if it's not lined up, it won't slide on all the way and never clamp the plates. you have a 50/50 shot of it lining up when you put it on.

That's part of the kicker gears like AK said....i bet it wouldnt start cause the cable wasn't adjusted totally correct.

EITHER WAY......what mods have you done to your bike......you mentioned that your spark plug backed itself out twice on its own. that's an indication of detonation......the hammering from the detonation is what is smashing the plug out.....

your gonna be ALOT more pissed if you have to tear your whole motor apart to fix and remove all the metal from breaking it......

sounds to me like you need to go up on the octane....

so ,maybe i just have the clutch adjusted too much and its slipping the whole time or something? ill tear it all back apart and try it again i suppose since we had figured that all that gear did had to do with the kickstart. its a stock basked as far as i know.

as far as mods i was told its .040 over but im doubting that and i put a coolhead with 19cc domes, i run 93 with klotz and it only seems to blow the left plug out and i had recently changed them which is why ive been thinking it was loose. my neighbor has told me that 2strokes love high octane but i havent been able to get any yet. i figured if it wasnt enough octane it would ping like a friends 400ex did on 87. It runs awesome though.

so ,maybe i just have the clutch adjusted too much and its slipping the whole time or something? ill tear it all back apart and try it again i suppose since we had figured that all that gear did had to do with the kickstart. its a stock basked as far as i know.

as far as mods i was told its .040 over but im doubting that and i put a coolhead with 19cc domes, i run 93 with klotz and it only seems to blow the left plug out and i had recently changed them which is why ive been thinking it was loose. my neighbor has told me that 2strokes love high octane but i havent been able to get any yet. i figured if it wasnt enough octane it would ping like a friends 400ex did on 87. It runs awesome though.

lol, yah, either get more octane, or bigger domes. forget what your neighbor said, octane need is based on compression, timing, and elevation, not on what motor it is. the stock basket is riveted, so there is no screws to back out....

lol, yah, either get more octane, or bigger domes. forget what your neighbor said, octane need is based on compression, timing, and elevation, not on what motor it is. the stock basket is riveted, so there is no screws to back out....

the screw was from the case and broke the gear on the basket. when i get the time ill investigate further and post back up here, ill have to find a place for some higher octane around me im not sure what i can get around here probably 110 but im not sure.