How hot do pipes get?

it will burn regular paint. You need to use high temp paint. I had some good luck with the VHT (very high temp) coating. I think dupli-color makes it, but you can get it at most aut parts stores. If im not mistaken they have black, white, blue, red and maybe even green.

On my digitron EGT gauge ive seen as high as 1350F at wot. These are probe readings installed (approx) 6" from the face of the piston in the pipe.

I would spray no less then 1500F paint.

But the real question is why are you painting them in the first place? :confused:

Might paint my pipes but need a rough estimate as to how hot they get when out riding my mods are in my sig. I already know high temp paint will work but don't like the colors.

I used Black VHT Brand paint on my old pipes, and they held up great for over a season until I got rid of the bike. It was rated to 1200F and never discolored, peeled, or anything. BBQ paint is also rated to 1200F and is available in a gloss black, that several people have used with great success.

On my digitron EGT gauge ive seen as high as 1350F at wot. These are probe readings installed (approx) 6" from the face of the piston in the pipe.

I would spray no less then 1500F paint.

But the real question is why are you painting them in the first place? :confused:

I was thinking about painting them because I just dont really like the chrome look only reason I have chrome R-2s is because they were out of the bare and black high temps and had a set of chrome so they sold them to me for the same price. Thanks for the info fellas I appreciate it.

Hey chuy, I just thought about something. Send an email to john at JL engineering and see if he can powdercoat those for you. He's just up in apple valley, I believe. That would be way better than paint... Just a thought. Btw, you going to the night drags at dumont?

You can PC them, but it has to be the high temp PC pther wise it will melt the PC and then it gets sticky and dirty and what not gets stuck in your PC. I think they are limited on high temp PC colors like they only have black and maybe 2 others, but I could be wrong. Contact JL and see what they say

the pipes in my sig, are vht white...... they also had red, yellow, silver, and black, i belive, maybe blue....... one main key is the progressive curing... i did mine in stages, and almost went too hot on a stage, and it started to discolor a tad, but my end result is a real nice white that lasts no problem. i imagine the same result in any color.