Free Banshee, Bad Crank, worth it?

eldreder

I'm new to this site, but i've been wanting a banshee for quite a while. My girlfriend's dad has an 86 shee that he told me i could have, however he said the crank is bad. Would it be worth it to get this and spend however much it would be to do a full rebuild on the engine or is it a lost cause?

I would definetly get it. If you don't get it tell me where it is and I'll come get it. Relpacing tge crank on a banshe isn't really that big of a deal. Eventually everyone will have to do it. If everything else is in good shape them you are looking at fairly minimal cost in it.

I would definetly get it. If you don't get it tell me where it is and I'll come get it. Relpacing tge crank on a banshe isn't really that big of a deal. Eventually everyone will have to do it. If everything else is in good shape them you are looking at fairly minimal cost in it.

Lol I figured. I'd still take it. I mean at the most you're looking at $5-600 to get everything in working order. That's counting a fresh used crank from here, new top end, any miscellaneous work needed to engine, and some chassis maintenance. After that I'd say if nothing too major is wrong you'd have a decent, good running 'shee.

Oh and this is all provided you can do all of the work yourself, i.e. no labor cost.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

yeah, i'm able to do the work myself, but i'm just concerned that something in the case might be messed up, just cause he doesn't know much about it and he hasn't ran it for about 7 years, so i kind of want to take it to the local shop, and have them go through it, or is that a waste of my time?

Make sure all of the chassis parts are tight but free-moving and grease them if they have a fitting. I'd probably just get a new chain as I don't see one that's at least 7 years old being worth messing with. Change all fluids, i.e. brake fluid front and rear, coolant. May look at changing to braided brake lines. Same as the chain, I don't see the current ones being worth anything and the minute you put pressure on them they could burst and leave you with no brakes. As far as the engine itself, anything that's been sitting for that long should be gone through with a fine-toothed comb. Plan on doing a new top end, new clutch, new gaskets/seals, etc.. The engine will need completely rebuilt. Like I said on the crank, try to find a nice, freshly used one from a late-model 'shee and send it off to have it inspected and possibly welded for the extra insurance mentally. There are several things I could go on and on with but it's only stuff that is mainly common sense and knowledge. Was the quad sitting out in the weather, did it have any fluids in it, what overall condition is it in, any rodents chewing on wiring? Like I said I could go on and on, anymore questions just ask.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

Sounds like a good project. As to taking it to a shop, don't do it. Will cost more than it's worth. The mechanics name is Ben Dover. First thing I would do is pull left engine cover and try to turn crank by flywheel. Could be something else locked up, such as kicker idle gear. Get a Clymers repair manual and if you can twist a wrench you're good to go!

BTW, welcome to BHQ, and your new addiction. Don't worry, we're here to help you with it. There is no known cure. :jesterlaugh::cheers:

thank you guys for all the help, i'm a lot more confident with this than i was before. I'll be getting it on the 5th or 6th of may, and i'll be sure to post a few pictures, and i'm sure i'll have a ton more questions