LTR/Banshee Hybrid

HI Guys...

I see everyone is on the Hybrid topic so I thought I'd posted some of my LTR pics....

I started the build on the 11-6-2009.... Time is my main issue for not getting it finished.... I am also building a 7mm serval now, so after that I think I will stick some money into the LTR and finish it....

I still have to strengthen up the frame, so the fabrication is NOT finished yet....

Unlike the YFZ its def a little more complicated, but nothing serious for anyone with fab skills.....

First was the few hurdles I had to come over.... The LTR's frame has the same 2 frame tubes like the YFZ, but they are in the way and needs to be removed (see in the pics)..... The left one are exactly right in the middle, close to the exhaust pipe manifold, there is no way the exhaust will clear it, unless you have a damn sharp bend there... I also did not like the look of those 2 frame tubes, it doesn't seem to fit there with the motor, so I removed them......

On the LTR the motor seems to fit much closer to the radiator and fan, so less space for the pipes to clear.... I had to fab up strong engine mount that I needed to keep UNDER the motor to make the left pipe clear easy over the mounts and to rule out the engine mount exh issue and let the motor move more forward to clear the rear shock.... SO the front mounts is not the best looker, but strong enough and out of the pipes way now.... I think once painted you wont't even notice them....

The other thing was that it seems that the LTR swinger has a much sharper angle then banshee and YFZ, this is a small issue with the Banshee motor that the front sprocket is not close to the rear end of the gearbox.... You need to get the front sprocket as close as possible to the swing arm pivot bolt, this will result in the least chain slack/tighten when the suspension moves up and down.... On the LTR it was a diff story.... When I mounted the motor and front sprocket in line and the motor as low as possible, even with my weight of 240lbs the angle of the swinger and chain slack/tighten was a issue... I have quickly draw some images on paint to show what I was trying to explain and make it easier to understand..... Sorry guys my english sucks, explaining things is not my best point...

bansheemotorinlyn.png

In the end I had to mount the motor slightly higher then I wanted to with the front sprocket a little higher, like in drawing 2.... It all worked out perfectly now...

bansheemotorgelig.png

This is a pic with a motor in it, not fitted or cut yet, you can clearly see the frame tubing in the way of the motor and where it would be in the way of the pipes, I draw a red line there, mounting the motor there would make it sit to far back in the way of the rear shock, so those 2 pipes need to go........

Copyof04112009025.jpg

Here are the rest....

You can see where I had to cut the frame tubing away ( the 2 frame pieces I was referring to in the beginning).. The front mount is also now fabricated and under the motor and out of the way of the pipes, giving me more room to fit pipes... I will be building my own set of custom pipes for this bike....

dsc07704t.jpg

dsc07698p.jpg

It will now get strengthened in another way to the front of the frame.... I will upload pics when I do that.....

And here is the rest....

dsc07701.jpg

Here you can see the sprocket is a little higher then the pivot bolt.... The moment there is a little weight on the quad or all the parts is on the bike the chain runs in a straight line and not rubbing anywhere on the guide or swinger....

dsc07710q.jpg

dsc07707t.jpg

dsc07706b.jpg

dsc07703y.jpg

dsc07702q.jpg

dsc07719h.jpg

dsc07715r.jpg

dsc07716.jpg

I have found the LTR to be the nicest handling 450, and for this reason I chose this chassis.... I also got it for a reasonable price, but it needs a lot of work.... I would love to go long travel with +3 arms with a nice broad power curve motor..... I don't know yet.... I wanted to do a 4mm RZ.... I will finish the bike and then decide on the rest.... The pipes will be done in the end... I might buy a cheap set first and make them fit just to get the feeling of the hybrid and then build a nice set that will fit.....

Edited by 2strokespirit

• 7 months later...

Update....

I sourced a set of PC pipes...

Change of plans....

Going to run banshee cylinders.... Make the pipe fits easier... I will still run a one piece rear silencer...

I will also remove the front engine mount as it is now, it looks ugly and I need even more space in the front for the header pipes.... I will then add a new pipe l=just like the banshee frame where the front engine mount bolt to... I have add a few pics, on the first pic, I will remove ALL in the red, then add new tubing where the yellow is... I need more space! Then I will strengthen it... The new tubing I will ad for the front engine mount is in the second pic line red, just to give and idea, will be more of an angle then drawn in the pic... This will also help strengthen and stiffen the frame, as I need to remove a lot of material.... Lots to be done, everything is dusty and dirty, but to give you an idea how it will look....

dsc07698p-1.jpg

dsc07715r-1.jpg

Something like this, is what I have in mind...

Copyof2011-09-06113137.jpg

Copyof2011-09-06143516.jpg

To five you an idea... Sorry all is dusty and been stored for long time...

2011-12-16123527.jpg

2011-12-16124840.jpg

2011-12-16124825.jpg

2011-12-16124803.jpg

2011-12-16125038.jpg

Time is my biggest problem....

I strongly believe she will take her maiden voyage in 2012!!

this is interesting. i also really like the LTR platform. suzuki went out of their way developing it as a insane MX/ trail agressive rider. is there anyway to fit the pipes on top of th e motor? i've been looking at alternative mounting solutions and that may be one to consider.. one of the most noticeable advantages when riding a ltr was the fact of how far foward and "into" the bike i could get on corners and NEVER hit the front fenders its hard to explain the main reason these are not as prone to wheelie is the nice relationship of sproket, piviot and rear chain alignment also the fact that you actually ride these differnt. you ride them agressivly on the tank and up on the front more.. the motors in these drop like flies just like th eyfz might try and find a roller around here to play with.

this i think could be bumped to the conversion section?

this is interesting. i also really like the LTR platform. suzuki went out of their way developing it as a insane MX/ trail agressive rider. is there anyway to fit the pipes on top of th e motor? i've been looking at alternative mounting solutions and that may be one to consider.. one of the most noticeable advantages when riding a ltr was the fact of how far foward and "into" the bike i could get on corners and NEVER hit the front fenders its hard to explain the main reason these are not as prone to wheelie is the nice relationship of sproket, piviot and rear chain alignment also the fact that you actually ride these differnt. you ride them agressivly on the tank and up on the front more.. the motors in these drop like flies just like th eyfz might try and find a roller around here to play with.

this i think could be bumped to the conversion section?

I also love the handling of the LTR....

The biggest problem here is the little amount of space in front of the engine, and the very wide radiator... I though of building a custom radiator which is narrower, but thicker.... The issue is that this chassis has a lot of hurdles to overcome.... The rear shock mount sit so that its in the way of pods and the pipes, the stingers will jut go over the mount.... I would love to mount a set of pipes higher, or build a custom set, but yet again, then the pipes might be in the way of your legs.... So the downside is, the pipes should run forward and pass the radiator as far forward as possible without hitting the upper a-arm... I believe the pro circuit header is the right shape to fit, only need to get the last section straight, or cut and twist and reweld... The only other way is to modify the radiator and the upper a-arm to make pipes sit more straight up... But I want to keep everything as LTR as can be, less hassles in the future.... The pipes looks actually great when you sit on the bike they are far forward and it seems "right"... I have been busy for this since 2009, hopefully it will run soon!!

Edited by 2strokespirit

Update...

Front engine mount has been cut.... I also believe that it is possible to stretch the frame, I need about 5 - 6 inches..... If this is done, I will get about any pipe in there.... I have been sitting it and measuring all angles and widths vs the banshee frame.... axle to axle the banshee is about 4 inches longer stock vs stock.... I think by cutting everything of the top of the LTR chassis incl steering stem top mount and just keep the front suspension mounts, top shock mount, fab a new subframe, widen the LTR chassis a little and stretch it, I will be able to even fit banshee plastics.... Lots and lots of work... Time is my main issue, but this is def possible.... By fitting a mono block cylinder with all the good stuff this might also be an advantage to keep the front en down... In the end axle to axle she will be 6" longer.... If turning is such a issue, the swinger can be shorten by a 2 - 3 inches.... I will be messing with the mass center point, but this is one of those things.... Getting banshee plastics on there will make it look stunning... Tons of work, but possible.... I am seriously looking into this....

A few pics to follow...

Compare these chassis and you will get the idea....

The "main" undercarriage remains the same... I will only lengthen it and modify it to try and fit the stock plastics... tons of work, but possible....

Red will be removed, yellow added... and widened on the yellow arrows....

2011-12-18133407.jpg

2011-12-18134015.jpg

2011-12-18141038.jpg

2011-12-18141048.jpg

The biggest thing is, to measure all out and make sure you do the right thing before cutting anything.... I will build a jig to do the lengthening and will also do a lot more measuring before going ahead and just chopping it up in pieces... Time is my main enemy... Tons more work... Lets see where this is going... I would really love to put banshee plastics and seat on there... Widening the upper part will also require cutting of the upper rear shock mount and re mount it in same wider chassis...

So before I make every one to excited, let me get into more measuring and see how it turns out....

Edited by 2strokespirit