Elka, Works or Fox

slag_350300

Im looking for insight on picking out new suspension for my banshee. First off, I ride trails and sand. Occasionally will jump but nothing huge. When Im feelin ballsy I will hop on the dirtbike. Is it worth spending $2500 on Elka front and rear shocks with a +2+1 a arm setup? Ive been looking on ebay and atvgalaxy has a stage 3 elka kit with laeger or lonestar a arms. I just am not sure if I should spend that kinda money on shocks if Works are a good upgrade? Looking for a smooth ride. The pogo stick I have now is a back breaker. How often do you guys rebuild Elka shocks? Is it spendy? I read in another post that long travel kit for the banshee made it tippy and shakey. Is that what you guys found? Anyway, thanks in advance for the help

How often do you guys rebuild Elka shocks? Is it spendy?

First, I will address this. Typically, you will get 30-50% longer life span between rebuilds with an Elka or Axis shock vs. Works, Ohlins, PEP, etc... There are two main reasons for this. Seal quality, and seal tolerences. Elka and Axis use higher quality seals, and tighter seal tolerances, thus allowing a longer life-span. The parts, however are more expensive. Elka rebuild kits are in the range of $36-$44 each, whereas Works, and PEP are around $18 each. Labor costs are the same.

Second, if you are a recreational rider, a set of Works dual rate shocks would be MORE than sufficient for you. They key is, if you are buying new, know what arms you will be buying before you order your shocks. I never recommend, when buying new, to buy triple rates. Triple rate shocks work great on lighter bikes, but there is no benefit on a Banshee. Banshees are too front heavy to utilize the third spring on a triple rate shock.

In conclusion, stick with dual rates with reservoirs. Works shocks will work great, but if you want the best of the best, order some Custom Axis shocks.

First, I will address this. Typically, you will get 30-50% longer life span between rebuilds with an Elka or Axis shock vs. Works, Ohlins, PEP, etc... There are two main reasons for this. Seal quality, and seal tolerences. Elka and Axis use higher quality seals, and tighter seal tolerances, thus allowing a longer life-span. The parts, however are more expensive. Elka rebuild kits are in the range of $36-$44 each, whereas Works, and PEP are around $18 each. Labor costs are the same.

Second, if you are a recreational rider, a set of Works dual rate shocks would be MORE than sufficient for you. They key is, if you are buying new, know what arms you will be buying before you order your shocks. I never recommend, when buying new, to buy triple rates. Triple rate shocks work great on lighter bikes, but there is no benefit on a Banshee. Banshees are too front heavy to utilize the third spring on a triple rate shock.

In conclusion, stick with dual rates with reservoirs. Works shocks will work great, but if you want the best of the best, order some Custom Axis shocks.

Thanks for the info! Do you sell shock and a-arm kits? Know of any places that have good deals?

• 2 months later...