Ported pistons?

So i just pulled my buddies ported bike apart to put a new topend in it but noticed the piston windows have been opened up? should I take a dremel and open up the new ones? check out the pic..the piston I removed is on the right side..new piston on the left.

post-36383-0-58791800-1303093514_thumb.jpg

It's definitely been cut..its not a clean job either..looks like someone did it themselves..they are wiseco pistons. its got nice portwork done but it didn't run like i felt it should. Maybe the previous owner hacked on the piston thinking he was doing something?

Ive made the holes wider on some of my motors but never cut into the middle of them only the out sides.

I also used a mill to cut them and stoned them down to make sure it couldnt get any kind of cracks off the cuts.

Ive made the holes wider on some of my motors but never cut into the middle of them only the out sides.

I also used a mill to cut them and stoned them down to make sure it couldnt get any kind of cracks off the cuts.

I could see how that might help. The piston windows are only cut on the top on these..they are taller by about a 1/4 inch or so..I've never touched any of the pistons in my drag ported stock cyl bike.

Has it indeed been cut or was it cast that way? Looks like a Vito's Superstock piston to me. Supposed to "fool" the engine into thinking it's ported or something. That's the terminology that others have used anyway.

The Vito's Super Stock pistons have a lowerd top on the exhaust side. It drops the top edge of the piston closer to the top ring. (They have lowered the rings so it's not a big deal) The edge matches the exhaust port. The piston top edge is down 1.5mm. So when you use them, the motor acts as if you have raised the exhaust port 1.5mm. That is the same as many port jobs. It works great. But it doesn't have a window mod like this piston.

some certain engines dont even have the windows. hehehe

i used to do holes or port match the windows. then i noticed it really didnt do much but make the pistons lighter on that side and sometimes cause cracks ( after a long run time) so i quit doing it.

whats funny is the less i do to them now the better them seem to run..